1968 Chevelle - Remove water spots and holograms - detailed by Mike Phillips with 3D Products

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
1968 Chevelle - Remove water spots and holograms - detailed by Mike Phillips with 3D Products

Backstory
This super nice build Chevelle belongs to a local car guy. While driving home they were caught in a light rain and upon arriving home they discovered there were tiny water marks or water spots on the paint. The water spots did not come off with wiping or even rubbing using a spray detailer and a microfiber towel. The owner contacted me and asked if I could remove the water spots. I said I would need to see the car first but chances are good they water spots could be removed with a thorough machine polishing.

Here's the 11968 Chevelle in the owner's garage when I arrived. Under the lights in the garage it was hard to see the water spots. There is a window in the garage and the sun was shining through lighting up the rear passenger side of the car.

full

In the picture below I have drawn a yellow box around the portion of the car being lit-up by sunlight.

full

Here's some close-up picture where the sun revealed not only the tiny water spots but also another common paint defect in the car industry - HOLOGRAMS!

See the water spots? They are the tiny circles all over the paint. Do you also see the holograms?

full

full

Here's a picture from a few feet further back...

full

These wispy, holographic-like lines are holograms from the misuse of a rotary polisher. It's okay to start with a rotary but most people should not be finishing with a rotary polisher and instead switch over to an orbital polisher for the last machine polishing step. The good news is - upon doing my Test Spot using a foam polishing pad and 3D SPEED I was able to remove both the water spots and the holograms.

full

Not a lot of action pictures
There wasn't anyone around while I did the paint correction work so there's no pictures showing this step but take my word for it - I was there and I was the guy doing the work. :)

Topping with 3D POXY
Here's the Chevelle after 3D SPEED. Next I'm going to top the 3D SPEED using 3D POXY for longer lasting protection and a deep, wet slick shine and for this step I'm switching over to the 3D 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

full

full

full

Machine applying 3D POXY using this tool on the 5 speed setting.

full

Machine application of a wax or sealant always does a better job than hand application and it's faster too.

full

full

Thin Layer of Wax
This is what you want to see - a thin, uniform layer of product. More product doesn't add more protection as you're simply going to wipe the excess off. A thin layer, well applied, protects just as well as a thick layer but the benefit is a thin layer will dry faster and wipe-off easier.

full

full

:)

Last edited:
More...

Products used

full

full

Best deals
I've included the different products in their different sizes plus their cost per item and the resulting price per ounce. You always get a better bang for your buck when you buy in volume.

Polishers

FLEX Supa BEAST - Coming in the next week to the 3D Store along with the entire line of FLEX Power Tools and Accessories

3D Dual Action Polisher - $149.00
I prefer to machine apply all waxes and sealants using an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher and this tool works great for this type of work. Using more aggressive pads you can also use it for doing paint correction with compounds, polishes and all-in-ones.

Products

3D ACA 510 Premium Rubbing Compound - 8 ounce - $24.99 - $3.13 per ounce

3D ACA 510 Premium Rubbing Compound - 32 ounces - $59.99 - $1.88 per ounce

3D ACA 510 Premium Rubbing Compound - 1-gallon or 128 ounces - $209.99 - $1.64 per ounce

3D POXY -- 8 ounce - $15.99 - $2.00 per ounce

3D POXY - 16 ounce - $21.99 - $1.38 per ounce

3D POXY - 32 ounce - $34.99 - .91 cents per ounce

3D SPEED - 8 ounce - $17.99 - $2.25 per ounce

3D SPEED - 16 ounce - $24.99 - $1.56 per ounce

3D SPEED - 32 ounce - $39.99 - $1.25 per ounce

My recommendations

3D ACA 510 Premium Rubbing Compound
Unless you work full time in a body shop cutting and buffing fresh paint jobs or you're a pro detailer working 5 to 6 days a week detailing cars, I recommend getting the 32 ounce size of the ACA 510 Premium Rubbing Compound. This is a fast cutting compound formulated specifically for hard clearcoats but you can use it for any type of paint.

3D SPEED
At this time the largest size container 3D offers SPEED is in a 32 ounce bottle. No matter who you are or the type of buffing you do - get the 32 ounce bottle. 3D SPEED is hands-down the best all-around AIO on planet Earth and the second fastest correcting AIO.

3D POXY
If you work full time as a professional detailer purchase the 32 ounce bottle of 3D POXY. If you're an enthusiast detailer only taking care of normal daily drivers then an 16 ounce bottle is the best deal for you. Because 3D POXY is a great sealant that's easy to use, if you're taking care of a large RV then get the 32 ounce bottle.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
Great Write Up :)
Lots of good information on the process, tools and products.
This is what I like to see/read

A lot more problems than Water Spots :)
He must have been Thrilled with the results.

Interesting that the owner only complained about the water spots and never saw the obvious glaring holograms. As always you made that obscured gem look brand new.

Great Write Up :)
Thanks - kind of light duty compared to my norm.

Lots of good information on the process, tools and products.
This is what I like to see/read

Jose Fernandez aka Superior Shine gives me credit for being the guy to "create the write-up" in the car detailing world. With a little time I could find where he posted this, about 20 years ago, take a screenshot and share it.

A lot more problems than Water Spots :)
He must have been Thrilled with the results.

Yes. I spoke with him on Saturday, he's very happy. Gave me a generous tip. :)

Interesting that the owner only complained about the water spots and never saw the obvious glaring holograms. As always you made that obscured gem look brand new.

To be fair - the sunlight only lit up the passenger side sail panel. That said, unless there was some spot repair in just this area chances are good and it's normal that if holograms are in the paint of one panel they are in the paint on all panels.

My paint correction process removed both the spots and the holograms on this panel and if these defects were all over the rest of the car then they were removed over the rest of the car so - same results no matter what.

Also, unless you have the car in the right light and are looking for specific defects like holograms you wouldn't see them. You and I are both experienced detailers - it's one of the first things we look for and we know how to position a car in bright outdoor light or use handheld artificial lights to inspect for and identify holograms plus all the common normal paint defects.

The owner is a car guy, could be an isolated defect or he just hasn't had the car in the right light at the right time to see them.

I want to respect the owner of this car and all the owners of all the cars I detail as is my norm - I send them the links to my write-ups. 🍻

Awesome work, Mike!! Fun cars to buff out… some big flat panels, some sexy curves and no plastic!!!!

I hope Speed is not discontinued in the gallon. I just finished a gallon up about a week ago. Autoality has at least one more gallon of it for sale on their page. I better jump on it…

Awesome work, Mike!! Fun cars to buff out… some big flat panels, some sexy curves and no plastic!!!!

I hope Speed is not discontinued in the gallon. I just finished a gallon up about a week ago. Autoality has at least one more gallon of it for sale on their page. I better jump on it…
I'm not sure about the gallon size but I'll check on it.

Back