Dark colored hulls

Aplus

Reaction score
Da Pads leaving pad marks: Any thoughts on why after doing my correction on darker colored hulls, paint or gel.
When I apply the sealer with the da, I can see the pad marks. Sometimes it is barely noticeable sometimes it is quite noticeable.

Thx for the response. rupes compounds, flex rotary, finished with rupes hard foam on flex beast. Factory gel. Maybe its the humidity, or temp.? I am in so fla.

You have a picture so we can see what you mean by pad marks? Hazing? What polish are you using to finish with? You sure it’s not oxidation that making it appear that way.

If it’s still oxidized when you apply a wax or sealer, it will make it look blotchy and uneven.

The first pic is before applying the sealer, nice and clear no blotchyness, second pic you can see the pad marks from the da. I finished with rupes on the blue hard foam pad.

Attachments

• IMG_4877.jpg
    IMG_4877.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4880.jpg
    IMG_4880.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Just trying to make sure I understand.

Second pic is after polishing with foam pad and before sealant?

That still seems to me look like some oxidation left causing that. Hard to say without being there. You can try to polish with a softer foam pad and see what happens.

Just brain storming, but Is it possible for you to do a 2x2 test spot, sand 1000, 2000, 3000, compound, polish, and seal.

I had that same look on a Rv I just washed and try to spread wax with a da, but it was oxidized. Spray wax was only way I could protect without that look.

No second pic is after applying the sealer. I am wondering if it is because the hull is getting hotter from the heat, and when I am applying the sealer its drying quicker in some areas?

Only way to know that is apply early in morning before it gets hot.

Keep us updated if you figure it out.

Just brain storming, but Is it possible for you to do a 2x2 test spot

Just thinking out loud, but normally, you do a Test Spot BEFORE buffing out the entire boat and dial-in and PROVE the entire process to one small area and once you prove the process - then you buff out the entire boat.

Maybe the thread started did this?

The first pic is before applying the sealer, nice and clear no blotchiness, second pic you can see the pad marks from the da. I finished with rupes on the blue hard foam pad.

On my laptop, (ASUS), I cannot see any pad marks. When I hook my laptop up to my big monitors, I'll take a second look.

My experience, and I've been teaching boat detailing classes formally for about 15 years,

Factory gelcoat likes sharp, hard foam cutting pads for the final polishing step.

Re-gelcoats like soft foam polishing pads for the final polishing step.

Mike

Back