Don't turn a Car Detailing Mole Hill into a Car Detailing Mountain by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
Don't turn a Car Detailing Mole Hill into a Car Detailing Mountain by Mike Phillips

It's pretty common in the online car detailing world to be asked a question where there is no simple or easy answer. As a part of answering the question, I find it's to be helpful to share an age-old analogy with a matching picture. Because I couldn't find someone else's picture I used my best artistic skills and MS Paint to create the below graphic.

full

In the car detailing world, most of the time we all have noble intentions, that is, it's with good intentions of perfecting the paint on our car we try to remove 100% of the paint defects like swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation. In extreme situations, we come across deeper scratches that drive us up a wall and that nagging desire to chase and create the perfect finish drives us to do what our natural instincts are telling us... don't do it.

In the case of trying to remove a deeper defect, for example, a deeper scratch, a bird dropping etching, Type 3 Water Spots, (crater etchings), our intentions are good, the problem is,
  • The paint is too thin.
  • The process is more complicated than our skill set or knowledge base.
  • We don't have the right tools or products to do the job correctly and/or safely.

Now anytime someone asks how to fix something that in reality they shouldn't be trying to fix - using a few key search terms I can easily locate this article and this graphic via Skynet and then share the article via a blue clickable link to it and thus save myself typing and searching time.

Plus... someone else may find this analogy and graphic helpful and or save themselves or a car detailing buddy from having to pay for a new paint job. :)

-Mike Phillips

Last edited:
Back