Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
How to Teach a Car Detailing Class

CarClassOverview027.jpg

I have a brand-new very in-depth article on the D. Beasley's Blog on how to teach a hands-on car detailing class. This article shared step-by-step, how I set-up for and then the order of topics I teach for one of my 2-day intense car detailing classes.

Better grab a cup of coffee or a cold beverage as this article weighted in at over 13,000 words with 211 pictures.

mike-phillips-leading-detailing-class.jpg

Becoming an IDA Recognized Independent Trainer
I see more and more professional detailers wanting to elevate their own profile while contributing to the success of others as well as the IDA by becoming a RIT or Recognized Independent Trainer. The criterion for becoming an RIT includes,

To be eligible to apply for RIT status you must:

1. Have a current IDA membership

2. Have a current Certified Detailer - Skills Validated (CD-SV) Certification

3. Have a minimum of three years of experience in the last ten years training individuals to become professional
detailers*

You will also need to:

1. Have a facility available to administer training and testing (must be able to provide photos and proof of
insurance and/or a lease/use agreement)

2. Offer training to the public (not only within your organization/your employer’s organization)

If becoming an RIT is a goal you aspire to and you do not currently teach detailing at a formal level, feel free to use what I share in my article as a starting point and also be sure to learn from other established RITs as to how they teach their classes. Then add your own personality and create your own class format with your unique style of teaching.

My recommendation
One of the criteria for becoming an IDA RIT is to

3. Have a minimum of three years of experience in the last ten years training individuals to become professional
detailers

I meet a lot of professional detailers that meet this criterion EXCEPT - they cannot document it. The way I do it is to create a write-up on my own forum and in the past, on the AutogeekOnline.net and MeguiarsOnline.com forums, (since 2002). I find the graphical user interface of a forum to work much better for photo-documenting my classes. And of course, I also share pictures, dates and locations on my FB and IG pages.

My recommendation to others is, when teaching a class, be sure to have an assistant take pictures and then find a way on any of your social media platforms to share at least a few pictures taken at the class plus the date and location. This way you can establish that you have in fact been teaching formal detailing classes for the required 3-years.

Adding Education to Your Detailing Business
If you're an established detailer and you've thought about taking your own business through an evolution that will include teaching others the craft you have perfected, then this article will at a minimum, give you ideas as well as the framework for what it takes to put on a 5-Start experience for a detailing class.

2025 Mobile Tech Expo - Orlando Florida
I will also be teaching this as one of my 3 classes at the 2025 Mobile Tech Expo. As I type today, Tuesday, October 1st, the schedule for classes on Thursday, January 30th (Education Day), is not updated and complete. I know my classes will all be in the same room at the end of the day on Thursday.

Here's the link to the schedule, as soon as it's updated with my room numbers and time slots, I'll update this article.

2025 MTE Education Day Schedule - Thursday, January 30th

2025 Mobile Tech Expo - January 30 – February 1, 2025
Gaylord Palms Resort
6000 West Osceola Parkway,
Kissimmee, Florida, USA, 34746

This article will also be a future video. Stay tuned.

Mike

Last edited:
Back