Interesting article on the history of the World Wide Web

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
Interesting article on the history of the World Wide Web

I'm a tick of a news junkie, you need to be now days, can't trust the lamestream media. A website I check on often had an interesting article about the history of the Internet.

How Many Websites Are There?

I find this interesting because I was working at Hewlett-Packard staring back in 1993, maybe 1992, hard to remember. But it was when I was working there that I discovered this thing we call,

Surfing the web

I discovered via the computers in our work stations this thing called the Usenet Newsgroups. In this early social media platform were all kinds of topics you could discuss with other like-minded people. The two I gravitated towards were,

Rec.Autos.Misc
Rec.Autos.Tech

Primarily I hung out in the Rec.Autos.Misc group because that's where all the talk about car detailing was taking place. Most of the brand names we all know and also most of the tools we all use were not even invented yet.

Another thing I would point out, back then from what I could tell, most of the people that were ONLINE were people working in some form of professional capacity. For example I would often be helping an Engineer somewhere figure out how to detail his car. I don't remember helping many Roughnecks figure out how to detail their work trucks. Just an observation by looking at the e-mail address in a person's posting signature.

Here's proof of my one of my oldest articles on the Internet dated 1994. Please excuse all the typing and grammatical errors, I was HORRIBLE at putting 2 thoughts together that made sense back then and also spell the words correctly.

How to Polish Paint by Hand

Here's the posting attributes. Note the e-mail domain and the date.

Article: 6811 of rec.autos.misc
From: mike_d_phillips%80@hp6400.desk.hp.com (mike phillips)
Subject: How to Polish Paint by Hand (long)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 16:42:05 GMT

I'm going to copy and paste the entire article into a dedicated thread on this forum for posterity. Plus this little tidbit will be in a brand new book I'm writing about the car detailing world, called,

It's just wax

This must be the perfect name for the book because I thought of it and my good friend and long-time friend Rod Kraft had the same idea and also suggested it to me.

:)

Just by coincidence, I was heading out to a buddy's shop and pulled over at 5-Bucks to get a coffee and saw a classic Toyota MR2 in the parking lot. She's a survivor!

full

(y)

Cool cars! I still see this one around town that I detailed back in January 2017 … still looks great - a ONE owner car too!!!

12E40185-34D9-4382-8305-5F764AEF7F26.jpeg

Aaryn NZ. 🤙🇳🇿

p.s - Looking forward to snapping up a copy of your new book too Mike.

Back