Lexus 2004 430SC

MAXMAX

Reaction score
Hello glad i have found this site. I have followed Mike for many years!
I am starting to detail this car and i want to get as close as a showroom shine, I have finishing polish. Do i need to get a more aggressive pad or compound?
The paint has been taken care of, however it does have some light to moderate scratches.
I welcome your ideas!
Thanks Nick

Cool cars, my wife has always loved the 430sc

The best thing to do is a Test Spot. Find an area where the holograms are easy to see and then buff out a section about the size of a microfiber towel and then inspect the results.

This will tell you if the combo you're using will work or if you need to,

More aggressive product
More aggressive pad
More aggressive tool

What are you using for a polisher?

Mike

Thank you Mike I appreciate your guidance!
Can you suggest polishes that will work well the Black Onyx . I have 3D polishes and Meguires. , high quality pads you suggest?
Can I put an indoor cover over the 430 in the garage?
So glad I found this site!!
Nick

Mike I forgot I am sorry,
I have two small spots like this on a side panel. How should I handle this?
The clear coat has broken through. Color looks ok.
Should I sand a brush in clear then sand with 3000 and 5000 then polish out?
Thanks Nick

Attachments

• IMG_4672.jpeg
    IMG_4672.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Mike I forgot I am sorry,
I have two small spots like this on a side panel. How should I handle this?
The clear coat has broken through. Color looks ok.
Should I sand a brush in clear then sand with 3000 and 5000 then polish out?
Thanks Nick

If it were me, I would simply apply some touch-up paint after you're all done with the paint correction and sealing the paint.

Less is more.

As for trying to do a complicated multiple-step filling, sanding and buffing, you normally turn a mole hill into a mountain. I have an article somewhere about trying to do what you're describing. The problem is, when you start buffing out your sanding marks, the sanding marks will buff out of the touch-up paint easy. You'll struggle to get the sanding marks out of the surrounding paint. So what happens is, you heat up the paint and your buffing pad yanks the touch-up paint.

Now what? Try again? Same problem. Seriously, if this is a daily driver, finish the detail job, add some touch-up paint and move on with life.

full

Mike

Back