Next Polisher Purchase

jas01ta

Reaction score
Hello there Mike! So glad you started this forum and that you are enjoying your new home with 3D Products!

I view myself as a student of your work and you recently helped me dial in the paint correction on my Sunset Orange Metallic Trans Am, which was bar none the highlight of my detailing endeavors!

Well, now I’m looking to purchase another polisher for my arsenal and I’d like to get your opinion.

I currently own the Supa Beast and a Milwaukee cordless rotary. (Rotary is just for tire scrubbing etc.)

I was thinking of the Flex cordless XFE DA since I don’t own a non gear driven DA or a Rupes 21. Also thought of the Flex pxe or Rupes Nano for the smaller intricate areas that can't be reached with the Supa Beast.

Anyway, any insight you could give would be great.

Thanks!

I remember you - thanks for finding my forum. I steered you in the correct direction previously - I will remain consistent.

let me get back to you tomorrow - been a long day. New Video series we started today.

:)

I remember you - thanks for finding my forum. I steered you in the correct direction previously - I will remain consistent.

let me get back to you tomorrow - been a long day. New Video series we started today.

Sounds good. And looking forward to the video series!

Hello there Mike! So glad you started this forum and that you are enjoying your new home with 3D Products!

I view myself as a student of your work and you recently helped me dial in the paint correction on my Sunset Orange Metallic Trans Am, which was bar none the highlight of my detailing endeavors!

Well, now I’m looking to purchase another polisher for my arsenal and I’d like to get your opinion.

I currently own the Supa Beast and a Milwaukee cordless rotary. (Rotary is just for tire scrubbing etc.)

I was thinking of the Flex cordless XFE DA since I don’t own a non gear driven DA or a Rupes 21. Also thought of the Flex pxe or Rupes Nano for the smaller intricate areas that can't be reached with the Supa Beast.

Anyway, any insight you could give would be great.

Thanks!

All are great tools. Instead of a free spinning long throw orbital I would consider a simple short throw orbital like a Porter Cable 7424XP.

So much stalling with long strokes due to the leverage the outer portion of the buffing pad has over the drive unit. Much less stall problems with short stroke tools.

The cordless FLEX Finisher is a 15mm free spinning random orbital polisher and the battery technology is top notch with FLEX as powered by Chervon's proprietary cordless tool technology.

I own a EGO 650 CFM cordless leaf blower for drying off cars and love it. Same battery technology as used by FLEX.

As for the micro tools? I'd hold off and see what's introduced at SEMA in about 4 weeks as I type.

Thank you Mike! Seems like I should forgo the long stroke orbital altogether then.

Also, would the Griots G9 be a viable option instead of the Porter Cable? I know the G9 has a lot more power, but I could always dial it back to a lower speed. Any thoughts?

And I’ll wait for SEMA for the micro tools. 👍🏻

Thanks again for all your advice. Much appreciated.

I'm the oddball when it comes to the G9. I love the power, I just wish it has the short compact body like the Griot's Garage 6" ROP, (discontinued), also similar to the Porter Cable.

I think everyone jumped on the long tool chassis bandwagon for all the right reasons, including Meguiar's, but for short stroke polishers I simply prefer the shorter, more compact body.

Especially when I'm using a short stroke to machine sand paint or gel-coat. For sanding, the long tool body is a nuisance. Again - this is just me. The Griot's G9 does have tons of power as I stated in my original review, I just never shared I didn't like the long body.

Now everyone is selling long-body tools.

This is why I still like and prefer the PC style and shape. For what it's worth, 3D sells a short stroke polisher. I reviewed it years ago for Autogeek. I gave it a GLOWING review. But Autogeek chose not to bring the tool into the store so my review never saw the light of day.

In fact, in my review I stated the 3D tool had more power than the Porter Cable.

I have the 3D polisher, give me a little time and I'll re-review it and this time the "content" will exist.

For what it's worth, 3D sells a short stroke polisher. I reviewed it years ago for Autogeek. I gave it a GLOWING review. But Autogeek chose not to bring the tool into the store so my review never saw the light of day.

In fact, in my review I stated the 3D tool had more power than the Porter Cable.

I have the 3D polisher, give me a little time and I'll re-review it and this time the "content" will exist.

Thank you for taking the time to give an in depth response. Had no idea 3D had a polisher. I went to the 3D website and saw a video for it, but it wasn’t listed for sale. Another site had it, but it was discontinued.

However, the 3D Canadá website showed it as the Maxshine M8S. It had the model number of “L35 HD”, which was the same number listed on the 3D video. So I believe this is the one you are referring to?

And that machine definitely has power with a compact body! 900 watts worth!

Looking forward to your review. And if it is the Maxshine M8S in question, then it definitely sounds like the winner over the Porter Cable.

However, I’ll let your word be the final say before I make the purchase. Thanks again Mike!

full

Thank you for taking the time to give an in depth response. Had no idea 3D had a polisher. I went to the 3D website and saw a video for it, but it wasn’t listed for sale. Another site had it, but it was discontinued.

Stay tuned.

However, the 3D Canadá website showed it as the Maxshine M8S. It had the model number of “L35 HD”, which was the same number listed on the 3D video. So I believe this is the one you are referring to?

Nope. All I can say is stay tuned.

And that machine definitely has power with a compact body! 900 watts worth!

Looking forward to your review. And if it is the Maxshine M8S in question, then it definitely sounds like the winner over the Porter Cable.
You guys are making me want to to buy a free spinning DA to reduce my ancient porter cable!

I "need" a gear driven machine first though:oops:

You guys are making me want to to buy a free spinning DA to reduce my ancient porter cable!

I "need" a gear driven machine first though:oops:

I bit the bullet and purchased a Flex 3401 when introduced a decade+ ago. My Porter Cable was reconfigured to a 4".
Gear drive rules!

Late to the party. I, like Mike, don’t care for the G9 style long body. I like the one handed operation of a PC style tool.. About a year ago I was looking for another 8mm polisher built similar to the PC. I did want a touch more power than the PC which is a truly great piece of equipment may I add.

I often have mentioned that I wish Flex made a short bodied style 8mm free spinning random orbit style machine.

Anyway I went with the Maxshine M8S. So far it has been a great machine for when I need that style tool. Has a lot of power and is really reasonably priced. Maybe something for the OP to consider.

I'm the oddball when it comes to the G9. I love the power, I just wish it has the short compact body like the Griot's Garage 6" ROP, (discontinued), also similar to the Porter Cable.

I think everyone jumped on the long tool chassis bandwagon for all the right reasons, including Meguiar's, but for short stroke polishers I simply prefer the shorter, more compact body.

Especially when I'm using a short stroke to machine sand paint or gel-coat. For sanding, the long tool body is a nuisance. Again - this is just me. The Griot's G9 does have tons of power as I stated in my original review, I just never shared I didn't like the long body.

Now everyone is selling long-body tools.

This is why I still like and prefer the PC style and shape. For what it's worth, 3D sells a short stroke polisher. I reviewed it years ago for Autogeek. I gave it a GLOWING review. But Autogeek chose not to bring the tool into the store so my review never saw the light of day.

Here's a few pictures of the 3D 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

full

full

Like I said in my previous reply, I used this polisher on the request of 3D and Autogeek, which I did and then wrote a very detailed report. I'll be at 3D in California next week and I'll see if Tunch can find my e-mail as it includes my report. Regardless, I gave it a glowing review. I thought it had a lot more power than the Porter Cable and still retains the short, compact body that I prefer.

And in full disclosure, I do not know who makes this tool. I removed the cap and looked for any branding but saw nothing.

The suggested retail prices as far as I can see is $149.99

Late to the party. I, like Mike, don’t care for the G9 style long body. I like the one handed operation of a PC style tool.. About a year ago I was looking for another 8mm polisher built similar to the PC. I did want a touch more power than the PC which is a truly great piece of equipment may I add.

I often have mentioned that I wish Flex made a short bodied style 8mm free spinning random orbit style machine.

Anyway I went with the Maxshine M8S. So far it has been a great machine for when I need that style tool. Has a lot of power and is really reasonably priced. Maybe something for the OP to consider.
Thank you for the feedback! Sounds like the Maxshine is the ticket thats closest to Mike’s recommendation. Would definitely be nice if Flex had one. Would be a no brainer for that purchase. Thanks again.

full

full

Like I said in my previous reply, I used this polisher on the request of 3D and Autogeek, which I did and then wrote a very detailed report. I'll be at 3D in California next week and I'll see if Tunch can find my e-mail as it includes my report. Regardless, I gave it a glowing review. I thought it had a lot more power than the Porter Cable and still retains the short, compact body that I prefer.

And in full disclosure, I do not know who makes this tool. I removed the cap and looked for any branding but saw nothing.

Thank you for doing more digging on it. I don’t see any retailers that sells that particular one so perhaps it was discontinued.

Appears the Maxshine M8S will be the closest one to it.

Thanks again Mike!

full

full

Update: sorry Mike for bringing this back up. I know you get a ton of other questions that are more pertinent, but I checked out the 3d website and saw the polisher you mentioned now listed. 😀

So you’d recommend I purchase this tool over the Porter Cable to compliment my Supa Beast, correct?
96F00075-3DEE-4732-B6EB-4E1778872F9A.jpeg

Update: sorry Mike for bringing this back up. I know you get a ton of other questions that are more pertinent, but I checked out the 3d website and saw the polisher you mentioned now listed. 😀

So you’d recommend I purchase this tool over the Porter Cable to compliment my Supa Beast, correct?

Yes. I'll have a review for it next week.

I'm using it on a 1968 Chevelle tomorrow. Owner contacted my as a referral from Shawn Kiddy of Kiddy's Classics. Owner says he got caught in the rain and the rain left water spots in the paint that won't wipe-off.

From the pictures, it looks to be a very high-end build. I'll start on this car tomorrow at 9:00am doing a Test Spot first and then after dialing in the best process finishing her out.

full

full

Stay tuned...

Back