pad/polish combo for sealant/coating removal

DownSouth

Reaction score
How aggressive of a polish/pad combo is needed to remove a SiO2 sealant? I don't want to over do it and start polishing the paint if it doesn't need it.

Also the same question, but for the removal of a ceramic coating?

I have the following polishes and pads:

3D One
Griot's FCC
Menzerna Micro Polish PO 85RD

LC orange, blue, white
Rupes Yellow
Buff and Shine Uro-fiber

Great question and a common "issue" for a lot of people. I have been asked TWICE this week on how to correctly remover a previously applied ceramic coating to a boat and a car. This experience for myself and others is making us re-think using traditional waxes and sealants instead of ceramic coatings due to the speed and ease of maintaining these types of LSPs.

I would use the 3D ONE with the Lake Country white foam polishing pad. My guess is, (because I'm not there I have to guess), is this combo should remove the previously applied coating.

I would suggest doing a Test Spot to one area just to make sure when you wipe-off the ONE residue, the finish looks spectacular. There's no real way to know if all the coating is removed or not - but it's important that your process leaves the paint looking LSP ready.

Make sense?

:)

I would use the 3D ONE with the Lake Country white foam polishing pad. My guess is, (because I'm not there I have to guess), is this combo should remove the previously applied coating.

Thanks Mike. Would you recommend using 3D ONE/LC white pad for both ceramic coatings AND SiO2 sealants?

Would you recommend using 3D ONE/LC white pad for both ceramic coatings AND SiO2 sealants?

You bet. 3D ONE is an amazing compound/polish. Besides top notch abrasive technology it has a "forever working time" zero dusting and easy wipe-off.

You could switch to a foam finishing pad instead of a foam polishing pad for an SiO2 Sealant.

:)

Here is a crazy way to look at at least coating removal…

*An average coating is 1-2 microns thick when first applied.

*A great quality 8000 grit sand paper will leave behind a 3 micron scratch(per microscopic scratch) behind on modern clear coats. ((more common is 5000 grit which will leave behind 4 micron scratches))

*Clear coat and ceramic coating will scratch very similar when abraided with sandpaper for this particular discussion.

With above info at hand, we can sand a small tiny inconspicuous area with one above sandpapers. While the sand paper is actually going deeper than the ceramic coating, it is negligible.

Now theoretically, if a buffing liquid and pad combo can remove the sanding scratches on said area, it will also be removing any ceramic coating as long as the same technique is practiced throughout the remainder of the vehicle.

Some food for though.

Back