Rupes Direct Drive

MAXMAX

Reaction score
I just had the opportunity to try a Bigfoot this morning.
Very smooth running machine hardly any vibration and it's a heavy machine!

Any thoughts?
Nick

I'm a fan of gear-driven orbital polishers and would choose a gear-driven orbital over any brand of free spinning random orbital.

That said, I prefer long stroke gear-driven orbitals over short stroke gear-driven orbitals. The FLEX family of BEAST gear-driven orbitals are 8mm while the RUPES Mille and the Makita PO5000C are both 5mm orbit strokes.

But that's just me. Each person needs to make up their own mind.

Mike

Reactions: Mak
Mike thank you for your imput
The shop said I could take it home and try it more before purchasing.
Thanks for the advice.

Mike thank you for your imput
The shop said I could take it home and try it more before purchasing.
Thanks for the advice.

Check to see which size backing plate it has. I "think" there's the factory 5" and an optional 6" but I could be wrong, it's been a while since I used this tool.

Mike

Mike, what backing plate size do you run on your Flexes? Last time I looked I found I have a 5" for my 3401 that I've never used, I even found my Edge adapter that I wasn't sure I ever even got (because Aaron sold to 3M right at the time he started making the adapters for the Flex), but there it was. I'm not sure I ever used any of the Edge pads I had, on my PC either. But I digress.

Mike, what backing plate size do you run on your Flexes?

I have the optional 6" backing plates on all my CBEASTS and Supa BEASTS except I have ONE Supa BEAST with the factory 5" backing plate.

I keep one tool with the smaller 5" backing plate to let the students see/feel the difference when using a larger backing plate and thus a larger pad, (larger footprint), and the factory smaller backing plate and corresponding smaller pad, (smaller footprint).

Afterwards, most people agree, these tools are smoother to hold and use with the larger buffing pads and at the same time, the larger pads take advantage of all that gear-driven orbital goodness.

Mike

Check to see which size backing plate it has. I "think" there's the factory 5" and an optional 6" but I could be wrong, it's been a while since I used this tool.

Mike
I got the correct combination of polish and pads! It was worth spending 15-20 minutes doing a test area!

Attachments

• IMG_5201.jpeg
    IMG_5201.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Looks good to me. Definitely with any brand of gear-driven orbital - due to the increased power, you really need to dial-in your pad and product combination for the paint you're working on.

Mike

Will do! Half the work is done!
Figuring out the polish and pads, will save a ton of time!!!

Back