The definition of a Section Pass by Mike Phillips - How to do paint correction by machine

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
The definition of a Section Pass by Mike Phillips - How to do paint correction by machine

Years ago, when trying to figure out how to teach a person how to buff out a car using a keyboard I came up with the term Section Pass or Section Passes.

The definition of a pass
There are two definitions of the word pass as it relates to machine polishing with any type of machine.

Single Pass
A single pass is just that. It's when you move the polisher from one side of the section you're buffing to the other side of the section you're buffing. That's a single pass.

Section Pass
A section pass is when you move the polisher back and forth, or front to back with enough single overlapping passes to cover the entire section one time. That's a section pass.

How many section passes to make to one area of paint
In most cases if you're removing any substantial below surface defects, you're going to make 8-10 section passes to the section you’re working before you either feel comfortable you've removed the defects or you're at the end of the buffing cycle for the product you're using.

After buffing a section, turn the polisher off, carefully remove any product residue from the surface and inspect. If the results look great, move onto a new section and be sure to overlap a little into the previous section for good UMR or Uniform Material Removal.

If the defects are not removed to your satisfaction, re-apply fresh product and buff this section a second time.

Optional: Switch to a more aggressive pad, product or tool. Or increase the number of section passes until you have removed the defects to your satisfaction or your comfort level.

Dividing large panels into smaller sections
Making section passes refers to the way you move a polisher over the paint to buff out a single section of paint. You can't buff out entire panels at a time as paint is too hard and many panels are too large to actually buff out an entire panel at one time. So you take larger panels and divide them up into smaller section like you see in this picture.

full

full

full

Crosshatch pattern

Doing section passes is doing a crosshatch pattern over a section of paint.

Polish first going left to right.

onepass.jpg

Make a second pass over the working area using overlapping “up to down, down to up” strokes.

twopass.jpg

The above is an example of 2 section passes, this means going over a section with overlapping passes side to side until you have buffed over the entire section, followed by buffing front-to-back, until you have buffed over the entire section. To buff this section for 8 section passes, you would repeat the above 2 section passes 6 more times. Make sense?

Mike

More...

This is an updated version of the article I wrote back in 2017. I'm writing a new article and making a new video on how to polish Plexiglas. In this new article/video I'll show how to remove swirls and scratches via,

Hand polishing
Using an orbital polisher
Using a rotary polisher
Dry sanding by machine

I'll be sharing these techniques on the original Plexiglas windshield on a 1966 Duo Runabout and a 1961 Corvette.

1966 Duo Runabout

full

full

1961 Corvette

full

full

full

For this article, I'll be sharing how to make section passes when buffing out Plexiglas, thus I updated an old article so I can share the same instructions in two places. :)

Stay tuned....

Mike

Very helpful and informative explanation. I had actually been wondering the past couple days if I had been breaking down my panels in the appropriate sizes/sections. Appears from your examples I’ve been using the correct approach. So far I’ve done the cab roof and hood. Ironic that your example is a 68 Cougar which is the vehicle sitting right next to my current project, and what I will be beginning the restoration on hopefully later this year.

You had me at Cougar!
Nice 67! (y)

Here is mine 20+ years ago before I had developed a rust problem under the vinyl top… I will not be going back to vinyl when I do this restoration. I prefer the look without. I’ve got the rusty patches cut out and have already welded-in the patches and have it looking good. At this point though I will strip the rest to bare metal and make sure I don’t use other areas that need to be addressed.DSC00026.jpeg

Very helpful and informative explanation. I had actually been wondering the past couple days if I had been breaking down my panels in the appropriate sizes/sections. Appears from your examples I’ve been using the correct approach. So far I’ve done the cab roof and hood. Ironic that your example is a 68 Cougar which is the vehicle sitting right next to my current project, and what I will be beginning the restoration on hopefully later this year.

The Cougar with the painter's tape all over it, would be an example for using a entery level tool like a Porter Cable 7424XP. If using a more powerful tool like the FLEX BEAST, you can work larger areas than those depicted.

Apologies for the delay in answering, I'm currently in Chicago starting the 4th day of a 5-day class.

5-Day Class - Pro Skills & Business - Chicago IL - April 8th through April 12th

Mike

Reactions: Mak
Nice 67! (y)

Here is mine 20+ years ago before I had developed a rust problem under the vinyl top… I will not be going back to vinyl when I do this restoration. I prefer the look without. I’ve got the rusty patches cut out and have already welded-in the patches and have it looking good. At this point though I will strip the rest to bare metal and make sure I don’t use other areas that need to be addressed.View attachment 4811

Love that color!

Mike

Reactions: Mak
Love that color!

Mike
It’s definitely a period color. Same Caribbean blue on the interior. Wil, probably stick with the same color even though I love the look of the Cougar in a dark, deep blue.
Funny, the orig ford color name for my F100 is Bahama Blue.

Back