Website
themikephillipsforum.com
The Zen and art of washing a car by Mike Phillips

full

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary

Definition of Zen

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: a Japanese sect of Mahayana Buddhism that aims at enlightenment by direct intuition through meditation.

2: or zen : a state of calm attentiveness in which one's actions are guided by intuition rather than by conscious effort.

Perhaps that is the zen of gardening—you become one with the plants, lost in the rhythm of the tasks at hand. Snip, tie, dig, pull. Actions become synchronized. The minutes tick away. Tranquility beckons. — Irene Virag

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the above definition, it's the second definition that captures what I consider to be the Zen and art of washing a car. This portion,

a state of calm attentiveness in which one's actions are guided by intuition rather than by conscious effort.

There's a HUGE difference between a Prep Wash and a Maintenance Wash.

A prep wash is where you're washing a neglected car to get it super clean before you start the paint correction process as well as all the other steps you'll perform to bring the car back to factory-new or even show car status.

A maintenance wash on the other hand is the way you wash a car AFTER all the hard work is done. When this is your own car, you pay attention to the task at hand. You insure your wash bucket and wash mitt are clean and uncontaminated. You understand it takes hours to buff out a car and only seconds to inflict scratches back into the paint. Washing your own finally detailed car is work for sure, but it's more a process of passion not the drudgery of grunt work like when you did the initial prep wash.

You can relax. You can enjoy the time. You can enjoy your car and you already know you'll enjoy the results. There's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from a job well done. The initial prep wash and paint correction is what brought you to, a job well done, but just as important is the follow-up work, the maintenance washing of your pride and joy.

This is where washing our car be a state of mind, or Zen and the art of washing a car. Just like you invested in yourself to learn how to do the hard work, you have invested in yourself to know how to do the easy part, gently and carefully washing your perfectly polished and sealed paint as well as carefully washing, cleaning and and then drying all the other parts of your car that make it, what ever type of car it is - an expression of your personality or success or simply your preference for getting from point a to point b.

I've always like detailing cars, my own cars, other people's cars. I don't mind the hard work taking a diamond in the rough and turning it into a glistening gemstone, but what I like the most, is after all the hard work is done, I like the calm and relaxing experience of doing the easy part, washing my car and restoring it to the pristine condition hiding under the covering of dirt and road grim from the normal day-in, day-out driving during the week.

Washing a care carefully takes quality tools and just as important, a laser like focus on the task-at-hand. But when you've done this so many times, it's like a second-nature takes over. You can go through the motions without having to think about them at the same time. Your work is artistry because your practice has made your technique - perfect.

The weekends were made for washing cars, a time to escape the hectic rat race of day to day living in our hectic, ever-changing world. It's car wash time, it's the Zen and the art of washing a car.

Car Washing Zen

A state of calm attentiveness in which one's actions are guided by intuition rather than by conscious effort. When doing a maintenance wash, you are one with the wash mitt.

:)

Last edited:
Great title!

The original, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, wasn't about MC maintenance at all. It was an inquiry into values, very much the same as the way you teach the art of washing a car or polishing paint. Also similar was the inquiry into Quality. Hard to define but you know quality when you see it.

So cool you used this title. The Zen of striving for the satisfaction and quality of a well cared for vehicle.

Mike, your Zen has been very apparent in your training, teaching, and forum moderation style.

The best "at one" experiences seem to exclude the clock, we forget about time for a while.

The best "at one" experiences seem to exclude the clock, we forget about time for a while.

This would be the Nirvana aspect of the process.

From Dictionary.com

nirvana - noun

3 - a place or state characterized by freedom from or oblivion to pain, worry, and the external world.

Besides driving your favorite car, washing it after all the hard work is done to perfect it - is the only other aspect that is truly enjoyable.

I like running a polisher over a hood, cleaning inside glass or scrubbing a tire as much as the next guy, but these things are really just grunt work. It's after all the hard work where we find the enjoyment aspect.

This will then lead to the practical aspect, the tools and products we use for the maintenance

My take on washing/maintaining my cars and bikes is not so Utopian.

It's more like something that "has to be done" than it is "something I want to do". It actually falls somewhere between "dread" at times to "indifference" other times. Actual enjoyment of the process, while I have experienced that on occasion, is not the norm.

That said, I am disciplined enough that whether or not I'm "enjoying" the process, I will give it my all.

My enjoyment and satisfaction comes from the results, not necessarily the process.

I'm the type that records on the calendar when I last did "wax" details on my vehicles. At the 3 month mark or returning from a road trip, I start getting antsy for a little therapy.

People always asked me why I wash my own car. I used to give the speech about swirls and scratches but I found that often fell on deaf ears.

I would say now I find it relaxing and enjoyable. It’s a great feeling when the dirt just comes off effortlessly and I can see the black paint shine again.

For me I have switched to primarily rinseless washing. This speeds up the process and makes it even more enjoyable to me. Find something you like and use it often.

One car I used to own that I remember washing was simply a Zen moment was when I used to wash this 1959 Cadillac in our driveway. The paint was oxidized when I bought it but after an entire day of washing, scrubbing and the claying and polishing, she shined like a diamond. She also purred like a kitten with only 52,000 original miles.

After the hard part, the easy and fun part was simply washing her once in a while...

full

Washing the fins and the ice cream cones on the sides of the fins is something you just can't do on any other car.

My take on washing/maintaining my cars and bikes is not so Utopian.

It's more like something that "has to be done" than it is "something I want to do". It actually falls somewhere between "dread" at times to "indifference" other times. Actual enjoyment of the process, while I have experienced that on occasion, is not the norm.

That said, I am disciplined enough that whether or not I'm "enjoying" the process, I will give it my all.

My enjoyment and satisfaction comes from the results, not necessarily the process.
I think you nailed this, John.

Some weeks I am thinking: "I'm going to wash the truck".

Other weeks, I am thinking: "I have to wash the truck??"

It all depends on what I have planned, or what comes up that week. This week? I'm on vacation, and I couldn't be happier washing, polishing, and doing all the little "extras".

But to be honest, other weeks it just seems like another chore. But like you said, you would never be that guy that lets his lawn grow out of control. Just like you'd never be that guy driving a filthy vehicle.

For what it's worth, the context of this article was about washing something that is your toy, or favorite ride, or weekend cruiser, not so much about washing your transportation vehicle.

I don't ever get excited about washing my Honda. I still do a good job but I don't find it anything but a job to do. Washing my last monster truck was fun.

Get the idea?

Again... for what it's worth.

For what it's worth, the context of this article was about washing something that is your toy, or favorite ride, or weekend cruiser, not so much about washing your transportation vehicle.

I don't ever get excited about washing my Honda. I still do a good job but I don't find it anything but a job to do. Washing my last monster truck was fun.

Get the idea?

Again... for what it's worth.
Mine is kind of both, Mike.

The Ram is my DD, yes. But it is also my "pride & joy" so to speak. I built it in the showroom with the salesman, waited 6 weeks to get it, and I'm still in love with it as much as the day it came off the hauler.

Kind of a "tweener" if you will.......... :)

The Ram is my DD, yes. But it is also my "pride & joy" so to speak. I built it in the showroom with the salesman, waited 6 weeks to get it, and I'm still in love with it as much as the day it came off the hauler.

Same here.

While each of my vehicles are drivers* (1 truck & 2 bikes), anyone of them could be entered in the local weekend car/bike show at almost anytime with very minimal prep.

* Disclosure - Now that I'm retired my drivers are not really daily drivers at all because I don't always drive daily.

My Camaro is the same. It is my DD and in the last 6 years I have accumulated 123,000 miles on it for a grand total of 148,000 miles. But it is still my 'baby' and as long as the wife isn't giving me "The Look!" or asking "Are you almost done?" it is relaxing to me to wash & wax it and baby it.

Back