waterproof a vinyl tonneau cover

DownSouth

Reaction score
Hey Mike, do you know how well the CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating held up? Would you still recommend this product for vinyl tonneau covers? Does this product offer the best UV protection? Is there a product you like better?

Sorry to say that truck was sold a long time ago.

I saw it about a month after that article and if I remember correctly the water beading had diminished a lot.

Here's what I think and believe from experience - when it comes to any vinyl that is exposed to the elements, the best course of action is this old quote from my long-time friend, (may he rest in peace), PPG Rep/Trainer John Anderson.

Find something you like and use it often

Nothing is going to be a "one and done" or set it and forget it" type product and if there is a product that is like this my guess is there's a down side.

Let me check into what 3D has to offer that's water resistant.

:)

Thanks Mike.

I'm looking for a product that won't wash away so easily; leaving the vinyl bedcover exposed and unprotected after a heavy rain. I've only used 303 on vinyl bedcovers. However, as you know, down here in S FL, we get heavy downpours often, which just washes away water based products. Then what happens?? That intense S FL sun comes out after that 15 min thunderstorm and you are left with bedcover that's baking without any protection left on it.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike.

I'm looking for a product that won't wash away so easily; leaving the vinyl bedcover exposed and unprotected after a heavy rain. I've only used 303 on vinyl bedcovers. However, as you know, down here in S FL, we get heavy downpours often, which just washes away water based products. Then what happens?? That intense S FL sun comes out after that 15 min thunderstorm and you are left with bedcover that's baking without any protection left on it.

I completely hear you. When it rains hard in South Florida it's like an ocean of water dropping out of the sky. Far more intense than anything I ever experience after living in Oregon for 40+ years - where it rains a lot.

I think the requirements of a product to condition and maintain the health and flexibility of vinyl results in products that do not dry hard or dry to a water insoluble finish. It could be it's too much of a trade-off for both extremes - conditioning versus long lasting.

Let me know if you find such a product. I see someone recommended 303 products to you by my experience is they too will run off when exposed to a hard rain.

:)

What's your thoughts on using a Si02 spray sealant or something like Bead It Up on a vinyl bedcover?
Will those bond?

Back