Your training cars for the September NO CHAIRS detailing class in Wisconsin at Lake Country Pads

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
Your training cars for the September NO CHAIRS detailing class in Wisconsin at Lake Country Pads

I'm excited to say that we are partnering with Lake Country Manufacturing to hold our world-famous, NO CHAIRS - NO SITTING - NO POWERPOINT Presentation hands-on detailing class!

When: Thursday, September 21st and Friday, September 22nd

Where: Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc. 950 Blue Ribbon Circle North, Oconomowoc, WI 53066

Who: Our classes cater to those just starting out to seasoned professionals and everyone in-between.

Price: $1,400.00

Instructors

Mike Phillips
- Chief Education Officer for Dr. Beasley's - IDA CD, SV, MC, RIT
Chris Racana - Director of Success for Dr. Beasley's - IDA SC-SV
Rod Kraft - Griot's Garage - Sales Manager
Chris Metcalf - Key Account Manager
Andy B. Cool - Lake Country Pro Team - IDA CD-SV
Scott Voelz - Product Manager - Lake Country Manufacturing -
Jim Lafeber = President Research & Development Dr. Beasley's - CD-SV, RIT
Bob Eichelberg - Global Sales Director – Lake Country Power Tools
Bob Myers - Regional Manager - Central Region - Lake Country Manufacturing - CD-SV-MC-RIT, Certified Trainer
Zach Smith - Authorized Trainer - Dr. Beasley's - Owner of Pittsburgh Pro Car Care - IDA CD-SV
Lance Beckett - Authorized Trainer - Dr. Beasley's - Lead Detailer Mirror Image TN

Here's the confirmed training cars for this class, as I confirm more, they will be added to this thread. I'm always proud to say we are the ONLY class on planet Earth that shows you the actual cars you'll be training on BEFORE you sign-up for the class. When you sign-up for any other class, besides sitting in chairs and looking at the wall, you have NO IDEA what you're going to actually be working on. LOL

Morning Session - Multiple Step Paint Corrections plus Ceramic Coatings.

2004 GMC 3500 Dually

This truck is completely neglected and swirled-out. This will provide an excellent way for the class to learn how to use a rotary polisher for the major paint correction step followed by using an orbital polisher for the finishing step, followed by installing a Dr. Beasley's Ceramic Coating.

full

full

full

2015 Dodge Ram Pick-up
Another large neglected truck for the first class session on Thursday morning. The class will learn how to use a rotary polisher, followed by orbital polisher followed by ceramic coating.

full

full

Afternoon session - Single step paint correction and ceramic coatings

2022 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 – Color = Red Mist

full

2021 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch – Color = Area 51

full

Friday - Machine Dry Sanding Class plus rotary polishers, orbital polishers and ceramic coatings.

1993 Skyline

This Skyline has a recent paint job with so much orange peel the owner/painter describes it as GRAPEFRUIT PEEL! He also said he tried sanding but stopped when he found out we we're coming to town to save the day and this paint job.

full

It can be challenging to capture orange peel or grapefruit peel without the right lighting, but here's what the owner was able to capture and send to me.

full

1998 Mercedes-Benz AMG C4
This is our other machine dry sanding car. This has a custom paint job from a few years ago with orange peel and no gloss or shine. This will be a great challenge for the class.

full

Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX

full

I spoke with Jason Yu at Eagle Abrasives, I asked him,

What is the accurate way to type or say the brand?

The reason I asked him this is because I see some people refer to this line of sanding tools as Eagle Abrasives, or just Eagle. And I see other people refer to this line of sanding tools as KOVAX (note the word KOVAX is all capital letters - respect the brand and the branding).

He said, either name is correct, but technically it's Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX - and this is how it's displayed on the corporate home page.

full

So there you go, a little education so when you're talking about sanding with Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX, instead of looking like an idiot you'll look smart because you're up to speed and accurate.

Stay tuned as we add more cars, not demo hoods, for this class.

People learn better by doing versus sitting in a chair
In this 2-day class you will work on 4-6 cars the first day, starting in the morning with how to use a rotary polisher. No chairs. No sitting. No PowerPoint - just 100% hands-on training, learning and fun!

Questions? Call me!
Stay tuned for more cars and more information and as always, if you have ANY questions about this class or any future class, shoot me a text or call me on my personal cell phone, I am always happy to take your call and answer all your questions.

760-515-0444

This class WILL sell out! So adjust your schedule, make your travel plans and get signed up sooner than later. If you snooze... you lose...

Mike Phillips

Last edited:
More...

Below is the most detailed outline sharing what you're going to get to do at this 2-day class in September.

The FOD or Future of Detailing classes are tailored for beginners and seasoned professionals alike! These classes are taught by world-renowned professional instructors, many of them also recognized long-time professional detailers and this means you will receive the best in hands-on training.

Our Future of Detailing classes are known as the finest and most hands-on detailing classes on planet Earth! Theses are 100% on your feet, hands-on classes because we know people learn better by doing versus sitting in chairs. Of course, there are chairs if you need a break and for topical discussions, but 90% of the class is learning and working with your hands with the best tools, pads and products in the industry on the coolest cars and boats.

Nutshell Outline

Thursday - Day 1 - Multiple-Step Paint Correction and Ceramic Coatings Plus One Step Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings.
Friday - Day 2 - Machine Dry Sanding for a Show Car Finish - Real cars - no demo hoods!

In-depth Outline

Thursday – Day 1: Multiple-Step Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings (Show Car Detailing) Plus One-Step Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings

Morning session – Multiple-Step Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings also called Show Car Detailing

In this class students will learn how to take a car’s finish to its maximum potential! Class starts at 8:00am and by 9:00am you will have a rotary buffer in your hands doing major paint correction.

This class session includes,

How to do a proper waterless PREP wash

Visual Paint inspection
  • How to identify various paint defects and determine if they can be safely fixed or not.
  • Why to inspect vehicle for previous damage and document on the Vehicle Inspection Form/App.
  • How to inspect windshields for sub-surface defects like wiper marks, swirls and scratches.
  • How to inspect for clearcoat failure or other unfix-able paint issues.
  • How to inspect for defective parts or components including, side mirrors, antennas, mud flaps, etc. document and notify owner.

Tactical Paint Inspection
Students will learn how to correctly inspect for contamination using the Baggie Test, as well as the correct way to show customers the level of paint contamination on their vehicle.

Mechanical decontamination
Unless a car is brand spanking new, most car are going to have some level of bonded contamination on the exterior surfaces. This session covers how to remove the contamination and why you simply cannot count on machine polishing to remove contaminants.

Paint Thickness Gauges
Students will learn how to use a PTG to determine the thickness or thinness of the paint and how to safely proceed to the next steps.

Tape-off and Cover-up
Students will learn which types of materials or areas should be covered and protected from machine buffing and product splatter.

How to do a Test Spot
The single most important thing you should do before any paint correction on anything is to do a proper Test Spot. The importance and value of doing a proper Test Spot is explained in detail. How and where to perform a Test Spot is taught in detail as well as how to inspect the results. How to dial-in the paint correction process is taught based upon results from Test Spot. Mike Phillips coined the term Test Spot for the detailing industry so there’s no better person to learn how to do it right the first time.

How to correctly use a Swirl Finder Light
Quality inspection lights are necessary throughout the detail process.

How to use a panel wipe to inspect for accurate and true paint correction.
Polishing oils, fillers, waxes and other ingredients can give a false appearance causing you to think the defects are removed. We show how to use a panel wipe to obtain true and accurate results.

Paint Correction

How to correctly use a rotary polisher

This is the most powerful tool when it comes to doing paint correction. Correctly used it’s like a scalpel in the hands of a world-renowned surgeon. Improperly used and you can get into trouble real fast. Mike will make learning the way of the rotary polisher fun, safe and easy.

How to use an orbital polisher
Orbital polishers are safe and effective and Mike will teach you all the correct techniques to maximize your time while consistently achieving pro quality results.

Installing a Ceramic Coating

How to use a panel wipe

A panel wipe is a solvent used to prep paint for installing a ceramic or graphene coating. We teach a 2-step approach to ensure the surface is surgically clean for maximum bonding, longevity and performance for any coating you install.

How to install a ceramic coating
Coatings are truly the best way to protect your paint when it comes to protection, longevity and atomic gloss! Besides learning how to professionally install a ceramic coating, you will also learn how to honestly sell your ceramic coating packages to ensure you correctly match your services to your customers.

Finishing touches
  • Cleaning interior glass
  • Using glass coating.
  • Restoring and protecting exterior plastic trim
  • Polishing metal surfaces
  • When and how to use tire dressings and/or tire coatings.
  • Coating and protecting wheels
  • Detailing door, hood , trunk and hatchback jambs
  • Cleaning and conditioning rubber door and hatchback gaskets.

Afternoon session - One-Step Paint Correction & Ceramic Coatings
  • How to do a proper prep waterless wash
  • Visual paint inspection
  • Tactical paint inspection
  • Mechanical decontamination
  • How to set your own or your customer’s expectations for a one-step paint correction.
  • How to use and master gear-driven orbital polishers to reduce time and maximize paint correction results.
  • Topical glass polishing
  • Panel Prep
  • Installing a ceramic coating
  • Finishing touches

---------------------

Friday - Day 2: Machine dry sanding for a true show car finish

Topics covered

How to machine dry sand custom paint jobs
The highest skill and knowledge base most detailers strive to possess is how to carefully sand flat a custom paint job to remove orange peel and create a true show car finish with maximum D.O.I. or Distinction of Image.

Sanding paint
99.9% of the people on Earth should never sand paint. But for the 1% that have the desire to learn how to do it and do it right, this is the class for you. The ability and know-how to sand paint sets you apart from the rest of all the me-too detailers. Just being able to talk intelligently about it after gaining firsthand, real-world experience is worth the price of the class.

Overview
This class covers machine dry sanding techniques to level orange peel and other surface textures for creating a true show car finish with 100% D.O.I. as the goal.

D.O.I. = Distinction of Image
The goal when creating a true show car finish is to level the paint as flat as possible using sanding techniques and then after sanding, removing the sanding marks to restore a clear, high gloss shine. By flattening out the paint, you create a surface that acts like a mirror and reflects images that are free from distortion.

Techniques covered,
  • How to machine dry sand paint flat using 6” and 3” sanders.
  • The proper use of rotary polishers, wool cutting pads and compound to remove 100% of the sanding marks.
  • How to use orbital polishers with foam pads to ensure a hologram and swirl free finish.
  • How to seal the paint using either a wax, paint sealant or ceramic coating.

Real cars – No demo hoods
Most classes teach how to sand using a demo hood. Anyone can sand a section about the size of a microfiber towel on a flat demo hood about waist high, it's easy and the problem is, you only learn a small percentage of what you actually need to know in order to tackle a real car. Sanding and buffing a real car has real learning value because it has real IMPACT!

Rotary Polishers
After sanding the paint flat, students will draw from the foundational skills learned on Friday and Saturday, like how to use a rotary polisher with a compound and a wool pad to remove 100% of the sanding marks.

Orbital Polishers
After removing all the sanding marks, next you’ll remove any holograms in the paint left by the fibers of a wool pad. You will also learn how to maximize gloss and clarity in preparation to seal the paint with a wax, paint sealant or ceramic coating.

Certification Award Ceremony
After the cars are sanded and polished to perfection, you’re going to be tired. You are among the elite in the world that have now made it through to the end of these action-packed, 100% hands-on training courses.

Final questions, wrap-up and class is over!

Click the link below to register for this class

Dr. Beasley’s Future of Detailing Advanced Paint Correction Class - $1,400.00

Mike Phillips
760-515-0444

***Update***

Confirmed a 1993 Skyline with a fresh custom paint job for the second day of the upcoming 2-day class.

Friday's topics are how to machine dry sand, then put into practice all the rotary and orbital skills shared on Thursday to remove 100% of the sanding marks and turn out a show car finish.

See pictures in first post of this thread.

Mike

Back