2017 GMC Clear coat

dbrun

Reaction score
GMC had an issue with hoods and roofs where that paint fails on certain year models.

I didn’t do this but I just want to know what you guys thoughts are on what happened.

First pic shows how bad paint was failing, they called another detailer to see if they could fix it.

Second pic shows his test spot. I want to know what happened. Did he burn through all the paint?

View attachment IMG_3954.movIMG_3955.jpeg
I have worked on another Tahoe with this same issue, thankfully I knew about this issue.

Anyone who reads this and see this, just know GMC had some paint issues on certain vehicles. I wouldn’t want this to happen to anybody.

My first question would be?

What are you using for abrasive technology?

I've never seen such horrible results from doing a test spot.

Besides the above, the paint looks severely neglected. As in, whoever purchased this in 2017 did nothing for the last 5 years to try to maintain and/or preserve the preciously thin factory clearcoat.

In my classes, when confronted with paint this bad, I teach the students to put the PROBLEM back on the original owner or the current owner. We as detailers cannot fix the impossible to fix.

Here's what I would teach in my class, you were here Daniel, maybe you'll remember this line of questioning and answers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Detailer
Bob, did you purchase this Tahoe new?

Owner
Yes.

Detailer
Well whatever you've been doing to take care of this hasn't worked out and what you see for the current condition is the results.

OR

Detailer

Bob, did you purchase this Tahoe new?

Owner
No, I bought it used.

Detailer
Did you get a good deal?

Owner
Yes, I got a great deal.

Detailer
Point at the paint on the Tahoe and say,

Well, that's what you got as a part of getting a good deal.

Take all the money you saved over buying new or buying in better condition and get her painted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always position the problem as the owners, or the previous owners. It's certainly not your fault. As detailers, we can work miracles, but when paint is past the point of no return - then stick a fork in it and call it done.

If any portion of the paint on this Tahoe can be fixed, I'm confident you can fix it Daniel.

Mike

I know this person and they bought it new, they actually recently had it repainted after this happened. I washed and waxed it today.

Thats how I found out about this other detailer. I detailed one this bad before, however I told owner there was nothing I could do to fix the hood. I did a paint enhancement over hood, just to improve appearance.

I was just trying to figure out what happened, only thing I can figure, is he pulled out a rotary and went to town to see if he could fix it.

Does it look like he burned all the way through the paint.
Besides the above, the paint looks severely neglected. As in, whoever purchased this in 2017 did nothing for the last 5 years to try to maintain and/or preserve the preciously thin factory clearcoat.
I’m sure that took it through car washes and such, there was a civil action lawsuit filed against GMC for known paint issues on hood and roof, but never went anywhere that I know of. Honestly it’s sad that manufacturers get away with selling us crap and have no responsibilities.

My daughter’s 2017 escape has a known Issues with paint peeling off around the front windshield on the inside of A-pillars. Now I have to try to get in there and sand with 320 and take a can of spray paint with clear so I can get it protected.

Back