Best product for Hood Scoop Plastics and Front Grille Plastics - 1967 Pontiac Firebird

Jacob Harrod AutoClean

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for the best product to use on these front grille and hood scoop plastics on a 1967 Pontiac Firebird. I have Solution Finish and 303 Automotive Protectant. Or I can leave the plastics as is.Any input and advice is much appreciated!

20210925_055441.jpg

If I recall correctly from my experience with OEM Pontiacs of that era...

The grills are ABS plastic that are painted with a matte finish lacquer - silver and black/dark gray.

The hood scoop inserts are die cast zinc (pot metal) for the "fake" scoops. The functional Ram Air scoops which had a flap to open and close may have been plastic (probably ABS) but I don't remember for for sure. If they are open scoops without any flap, in that case they are either aftermarket reproductions or modified stockers. If they are plastic "fake" or "open" scoops, those would be aftermarket reproductions as well.

Additionally, the hood scoop inserts from the factory were always painted body color.

I'm just providing this as general info to help you decide on how to proceed. As for product recommendations, I agree with Mike and I would just try products I have available. For the grills I'd probably try a "protectant" type product. For the scoops, I can't tell what you're dealing with there so I have no specific recommendation.

Last edited:
Personally I like CarPro DLux for these type parts. I would do a test spot tho as it can make some flat colors have a bit of a satin look.

If I recall correctly from my experience with OEM Pontiacs of that era...

The grills are ABS plastic that are painted with a matte finish lacquer - silver and black/dark gray.

The hood scoop inserts are die cast zinc (pot metal) for the "fake" scoops. The functional Ram Air scoops which had a flap to open and close may have been plastic (probably ABS) but I don't remember for for sure. If they are open scoops without any flap, in that case they are either aftermarket reproductions or modified stockers. If they are plastic "fake" or "open" scoops, those would be aftermarket reproductions as well.

Additionally, the hood scoop inserts from the factory were always painted body color.

I'm just providing this as general info to help you decide on how to proceed. As for product recommendations, I agree with Mike and I would just try products I have available. For the grills I'd probably try a "protectant" type product. For the scoops, I can't tell what you're dealing with there so I have no specific recommendation.
Awesome! By ABS are you referring to Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene? I believe the hood scoops are of the same type of plastics as the front grille. I'll give the 303 Automotive Protectant a go this time around and then if I see the car again I'll try the Car Pro DLux, as Dr. Olds has suggested. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Personally I like CarPro DLux for these type parts. I would do a test spot tho as it can make some flat colors have a bit of a satin look.
Thanks brother I'll give it a go if I see this car again. I completed the interior today, and I'm going back to hammer out the exterior tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210925_061201.jpg
    20210925_061201.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 3
I'd test what you already have and see if there's any improvement.

Cool car.

:)
Thanks brother! I'll give the 303 Automotive Protectant a go this time around, and If I see some streaking I'll clean it and try the Pinnacle Black Label Vinyl and Leather Coating. If I see this car again I'll try the Car Pro DLux, as Dr. Olds has suggested. I'm all done with the interior now, and tomorrow I'll head back for the exterior. The paint is pretty messed up and I'll be doing a one step on it, and utilizing some of your prep wash techniques.

Back