Black car washing

MAXMAX

Reaction score
Mike , the wash pads and towels should be washed every time after a black car wash?
I think you said it should be done.
Thanks!
Nick

Mike , the wash pads and towels should be washed every time after a black car wash?
I think you said it should be done.
Thanks!
Nick
Black is the most difficult color in my opinion.
Easier to get a scratches and swirls, and harder to get them out!

I would phrase it as the wash media and drying towels should be washed before a black car wash.

I personally always wash my wash media and drying towels after one use, and even if I'm washing 2 cars consecutively, use a fresh wash bucket and fresh media/towels for each. But I'm a hobbyist and I have plenty of wash media and towels.

That's my normal protocol. I can't speak for all the experts on Facebook, YouTube and Instagram. LOL

Here's the link to my recent article, hopefully Yancy will have the matching video ready sometime soon.

How to Wash a Black Car (Without Scratches)

The crux of the article, that is how to wash a black car or ANY car without inflicting swirls and scratches is to use either one of these approaches. The Multiple Wash Mitt approach has a higher upfront cost because quality wash mitts cost a tick more than quality microfiber towels, but both approaches are better than using a SIINGLE wash mitt or a SINGLE microfiber towel.

Black-Car-Wash007.jpg

I like Chenille Microfiber Wash Mitts, I think they are safe and gentle as anything, but MORE IMPORTANT - when you WASH them, the microfiber fingers jiggle around and all the dirt flushes off - thus they do NOT become contaminated over time like so many other types of wash mitts. Especially any wash mitt that has a kajillion individual fibers like I see so many other experts tout. Those types of microfiber wash mitts are

Contaminant Magnets LOL

Black-Car-Wash105-1.jpg

The other part of the above article, that I originally wrote as a part of the above article, is how to wash microfiber towels and wash mitts. Here's the link to this article.

How To Wash Microfiber Towels & Wash Mitts by Mike Phillips

The thing I share in the article on how to wash microfiber towels and wash mitts is you NEED to have a GREAT washing machine, and this usually means and OLD SCHOOL top loading washing machine with an AGITATOR that goes NUTS during the wash cycle.

Here's the vintage Kenmore 600 I ordered from the local Appliance Repair business.

Black-Car-Wash118.jpg

During the wash cycle, the agitator goes nuts, this means it twists back and forth like crazy, and THIS type of agitator action gets sh*t clean.

Black-Car-Wash082-1.jpg

And I trust it to clean both my microfiber towels and my wash mitts. Also, my Rag Company Gauntlet drying towels.

Both articles above have a lot of information.

Mike

Thank you Mike!'i assume separate mitts and towels for the black Roadster?
This has been a huge learning curve
I have another car , besides.
Nick

An after thought, with that amount of Mitts would it be a 4 bucket system? Rather than the two bucket system?
Thanks Nick

Off-topic: Nice Avanti! I used to see a copper-colored one around here many years ago. A couple of years ago I saw a white 4-door--I'd never seen a 4-door before! I had to look it up and they only made about 100 of them (not that they made many Avantis at all).

Back