Categorizing microfiber rowels

Runway

Reaction score
I just got into “beginners detailing“ and bought a bunch of microfiber towels. Now I am just confused on what towel to use on what. I have some really soft ones I use for the final buffing, but maybe that is even wrong. I have all manner of thickness, density, and for lack of a better description, softness. So I guess the question becomes what do you use for what when taking care of a vehicle.

I think one of the most important things to learn early is keep your contaminated towels (spray waxes, detailers, car soaps with wax in them - even towels you use to dry those, interior detailers and protectants, anything that gets grease, oil or road film on it)) away from your drying towels. This includes not washing them together.

I agree with this...

I think one of the most important things to learn early is keep your contaminated towels (spray waxes, detailers, car soaps with wax in them - even towels you use to dry those, interior detailers and protectants, anything that gets grease, oil or road film on it)) away from your drying towels. This includes not washing them together.

Wash towels that have been used with the same or similar product together or just by themselves. Separate by water soluble and water insoluble.

Also - have a "system" in place to keep towels clean before use and after use while they are in queue to be washed and dried.

In my experience - the number #1 problem with towels, especially the kind everyone loves, (fluffy towels), are the towels becoming contaminated with hard, sharp and pokey particulates.

Remember... it takes HOURS to correctly buff out a car and only SECONDS to put scratches back into the paint.

:)

Do people use separate waterless wash towels for lower body panels? (like, WW towels that they use for lowest part of vehicle & separate WW towels that they use for top part). Or is it not needed as long as changing towels a lot because washing and inspecting towels will make sure the dirt doesn't get reintroduced?

I treat the lower dirtiest parts of a vehicle similar to a two bucket wash. The lower dirtiest parts get my older microfibers and much more lubrication.

They are washed, stored, and used separate from my best, newest, cleanest towels.

I treat the lower dirtiest parts of a vehicle similar to a two bucket wash. The lower dirtiest parts get my older microfibers and much more lubrication.

They are washed, stored, and used separate from my best, newest, cleanest towels.
I see.

Heres one more question: Do people put different microfibers in the same dirty towel bucket, or do people use multiple dirty towel buckets?

Because I use one (clean) dirty towel bucket and it seems to me like if the microfibers are together there... why not put them together in the wash?

I don't know what others do, I enjoy the whole process, so yes, multiple dirty towel buckets. Each one will be it's own laundry load.

Mike teaches to have many of each towel. Partly for the work, and partly to make up a laundry load.

Heres one more question: Do people put different microfibers in the same dirty towel bucket, or do people use multiple dirty towel buckets?

Because I use one (clean) dirty towel bucket and it seems to me like if the microfibers are together there... why not put them together in the wash?

Both approaches will work. The BIG PICTURE is to keep your towels off the floor or concrete depending upon where you're working. Mobile guys usually work outside on a driveway, parking lot or road - thus concrete and asphalt.

Also - when detailing a car, the volume of towels you use depends on the process. For example if you're doing a waterless wash you'll use a lot of dedicated waterless wash towels. When wiping off compounds and polishes, you'll likely use a lot of the same type of towel for this procedure. They can all go into the same bucket but do separate when you wash.

Waterless wash, compounds and polishes are all water-soluble so you could wash them all together but I wouldn't. Not only do I separate towels by the type of chemical that they were used with but also by type and even color. Mostly to preserve the color but also to isolate chemicals from chemicals.

I'll be sharing some brand new "content" on this topic but probably not until after SEMA.

I don't know what others do, I enjoy the whole process, so yes, multiple dirty towel buckets. Each one will be it's own laundry load.

Correct and in most cases, you take the bucket right to the washing machine and dump in the entire contents plus you're detergent.

Mike teaches to have many of each towel. Partly for the work, and partly to make up a laundry load.

Correct. How you do your laundry need to make good practical sense. More towels in your towel collection are more gooder. Then you can make dedicated wash loads and still be practical as well as eco-friendly.

Back