Detailing Question? Feel free to ask them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
Detailing Question? Feel free to ask them here.

This is an open forum. You can talk about any brand you like. If I can offer any help or insight I'm always happy to do so. If I've never used a product being asked about, then I'll state that up front.

:)

Mike, will you be carrying detailing products on your web site?

Now that you are taking appointments for detailing, are you doing all the work yourself?

Now that you are taking appointments for detailing, are you doing all the work yourself?

Yes. I mostly do SIVs and some daily drivers here and there.

I have a 1964 Impala SS coming up. The owner probably wouldn't like it if someone he didn't know was touching his baby.

Mike, for those that may not be familiar with you from AGO, can you explain the difference between rotary, forced rotation, and random orbit polishers, and why any of these are superior to working by hand?

Mike, for those that may not be familiar with you from AGO, can you explain the difference between rotary, forced rotation, and random orbit polishers, and why any of these are superior to working by hand?

Of course.

Soon as I have a free moment and am behind my full size keyboard. I'm on a laptop right now and about ready to push away from the keyboard for the day.

Have to get up early and hit the pool.

Mike, for reference I have 2 Alpine white BMW vehicles. Use a CBEAST and your recommended pads.

As of today:

If you had to recommend a one step/AIO for someone just looking to work on their own vehicles what would it be right now?

And same question but if a personal vehicle might need a little more attention what polishes would you recommend?

Hi Boyerstyle,

I'm a huge fan of 3D Speed. It uses great abrasive technology so it works without micro-marring on pretty much any kind of paint. Can't say that about other AIOs or compounds and polishes.

Plus - zero dusting, forever working time and super easy wipe-off. The prices is great too.

3D Speed

And same question but if a personal vehicle might need a little more attention what polishes would you recommend?

For more cut you can continue to use 3D Speed and simply use a more aggressive pad like a foam cutting pad or a microfiber pad. If the pad is leaving hazing, then simply re-polish using same product but switching back to foam.

Foam always leaves a nicer, more consistent finish than a fiber pad due to the uniform surface texture compared to individual fibers.

I like the RUPES and the Lake Country microfiber pads. I'm not sure what size backing plate you're using?

Otherwise, a dedicated compound will be needed.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I've got the 6" backing plate.

I've never used and AIO, always done a few steps on my vehicles, more recently was some of the Menzerna line.

A little skeptical about AIO, 🙈but also excited at the idea of cutting the time down.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll get some ordered.

Do you have a favorite couple compounds to do back to back for more serious jobs?

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I've got the 6" backing plate.

Good to hear. The larger backing plate and thus larger footprint pads help to smooth out the "feel" of this tool when doing paint correction. Much more enjoyable than when using the factory 5" backing plate and thus smaller footprint pads. It's not a huge difference but it is a noticeable difference.

I've never used and AIO, always done a few steps on my vehicles, more recently was some of the Menzerna line.

Menzerna makes great products. I was recently contacted by Menzerna to see if I would be interested in working for them and I would be but I'm doing my own thing. (actually a lot of companies have contacted me).

A little skeptical about AIO, 🙈but also excited at the idea of cutting the time down.

As Jason Rose so eloquently puts it,

Top coat hardness is an unknown factor"

And he's correct. When it comes to paint correction, no matter if you're using a compound, a polish or an AIO, what can be done depends on paint hardness or paint softness and you will not know where your car's paint is in this spectrum until you do some testing. Also called,

The Test Spot

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll get some ordered.

You will never regret it.

Do you have a favorite couple compounds to do back to back for more serious jobs?

As of this writing I do not have a favorite compound.

Normally what I do is if a person is a Meguiar's guy I recommend a Meguiar's product. A few years ago i wrote an article and coined the term,

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

In simple words, I tend to be a system guy, that is I will tend to use all products from a single manufacturer using a system approach. Here's how this works...

The chemists that formulate the first step products, since they know what's in them, they are better able to formulate the follow-up or next step products. For this reason, there's a synergistic chemical compatibility among the products and/or product line. Using one product designed to be used after the results of the previous product is a system approach.

Since you're getting the 3D Speed, maybe add the 3D One to the order. Like the 3D Speed it uses amazing abrasive technology plus zero dusting, forever buffing cycle and easy wipe-off. Just use more aggressive pads for heavy cutting and softer pads for polishing. Very versatile.

I recently detailed a Corvette. During the process I had to leave unexpectedly and could not wipe the 3D One off the car. I was fearful that trying to wipe it off the next day was going to be difficult. I was worried if it wiped off like dried concrete I would put scratches back into the "Corvette Hard Paint" and hate myslef.

To my surprise and delight - the 3D One Compound/Polish reside wiped-off easy. In fact, it may have wiped off easier than when it was still wet/fresh.

Hope this helps...

Hi Boyerstyle,

I'm a huge fan of 3D Speed. It uses great abrasive technology so it works without micro-marring on pretty much any kind of paint. Can't say that about other AIOs or compounds and polishes.

Plus - zero dusting, forever working time and super easy wipe-off. The prices is great too.

3D Speed

Mike, I'm surprised you didn't reccomend BF One Step. I'm gonna have to get me some 3D Speed now and try it out.

🙂

I’ll be borrowing a friends silver suburban later this week to move my daughter to Oxford MS for college, it’s going to be a quick road trip, leave early Friday morning and return back to Houston Sunday night.

I’ll be picking the suburban up Thursday afternoon and I’d like to clean it up as best as possible, but given the amount of free time I’ll have I can’t do the full meal deal...I may have 3-4 hours max.

My initial thought was to wash it and then possibly “breeze” over the truck with BF One Step with a LC White or Orange pad, not trying to correct anything but use it more as a cleaner, once finished I’d probably lay a coat of 303 Graphene and as Mike would say “stick a fork in it”.

Of course I’ll hit the rims and tires then lay some WET.

Also, I’d like to return the truck as clean as possible and maybe this would allow me to do a quick rinseless wash when I get home.

any input would be appreciated.

jay

I’ll be borrowing a friends silver suburban later this week to move my daughter to Oxford MS for college,

I’d like to clean it up as best as possible,

I may have 3-4 hours max.

Kind of you to detail it for letting you borrow it.

Given the time constrains, do a great job of washing it and then buzz over it with the BF One Step. Maybe consider skipping the roof. Not because you're lazy or unwilling, but the time factor to get up and down on some kind of work platform takes away from creating impact where eyeballs will see the results.

Down the road if you get a chance and more time you could then knock-out the roof. Plus by then, the owners having seen the before and after difference may be inclined to lend a hand.

Looking to try 3d one. Or shall i just stick with menzerna 400/3500?

I have a 2014 white ram 1500 to do in the near future. Always regularly washed. Never been buffed. Its needs cleaned up. Owner just wants to pay for a one step, then hit with si02 silica spray sealant for lsp.

Love menzerna, 400 finished down quite well. And 3500 really pops the gloss. But wont know which ill use until after i decon and test spot.

Any thoughts on trying the 3d one instead?
Not sure of the gloss/cut "scale" comparison

Last edited:
Looking to try 3d one. Or shall i just stick with menzerna 400/3500?

I’ve done a similar menzerna process in the past, I’ll be using 3D one here in the next few weeks! Anxious to try it! If you haven’t gone for it by then, I’ll let you know my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back