Going the Extra Mile Considering Polishing The Hood and Trunk Lids For Customers Who Purchase My Emerald Ceramic Touch Package

Jacob Harrod AutoClean

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a package coming out with the 3D Ceramic Touch.The package will include an iron decon and clay with a fine grade clay mitt before applying the coating. It will be my Emerald Ceramic Touch package.

I was thinking I could also do a light of polish the hood and trunk lids for my customers to make these major gloss panels look better with 3D One and a polishing or finishing pad depending on the condition of the paint.

The idea is to go the extra mile for the customer. I wanted to avoid the roof as the roof can be connected to the A pillars and I don't want to be polishing out the whole top half of the car.

I thought since nobody is buying any paint correction packages from me anyways, that it would be a great way to get some practice in.

I have a bunch of these LC Force Hybrid pads, and my Dewalt 15 mm battery powered polisher. I also have my Samurai Sword, the Flex BEAST and some Rupes Polishing pads and One Rupes Finishing pad.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Overall I like the idea, I teach something similar to this in my car detailing classes, not the specific products but the concept of,

Under promise - over deliver

It's 4:30M as I type and I have to push away from the keyboard to head to the airport - will get back to this as soon as I can.

Also - what is this DeWALT 15 minute Rotary Polisher?

:)

how long will the battery run before dying?

how long does it take to fully charge a completely dead battery?

:)
I'm not sure. It seems to last for a good amount of time. I have 4 batteries but I think I've gotten by on two before. It seems that battery charges before the other runs out. I also have the rotary version. I used it to polish glass one time and the 4 batteries and two chargers I had couldn't keep up under the heavy load. If the batteries get too hot the charger won't charge them. Do you want me to send it to you to check out? I have my FLEX BEAST.

1st I love the idea of of under promise and over deliver. But I feel there are better ways of doing it.

2nd I never clay unless at least 1 step of polishing is done. Trust me, you will get a vehicle with soft paint at one point and mar the crap out of it no matter what clay you use.

3rd Any type of ceramic similar to what you using includes at least one polishing step in my books.

if you are really trying to get some polishing in, push AIO jobs. These are great money makers and can have a huge turn around on vehicles. Speed and Black Fire one step have really made me some money.

I may be wrong here but seems is you are just getting started. One thing I learned is don’t sell yourself short. If you do amazing work, customers will pay for it!

1st I love the idea of of under promise and over deliver. But I feel there are better ways of doing it.

2nd I never clay unless at least 1 step of polishing is done. Trust me, you will get a vehicle with soft paint at one point and mar the crap out of it no matter what clay you use.

3rd Any type of ceramic similar to what you using includes at least one polishing step in my books.

if you are really trying to get some polishing in, push AIO jobs. These are great money makers and can have a huge turn around on vehicles. Speed and Black Fire one step have really made me some money.

I may be wrong here but seems is you are just getting started. One thing I learned is don’t sell yourself short. If you do amazing work, customers will pay for it!
I really appreciate your input and expertise! I've been at it off and on for about 7 years now, but way more seriously, especially about paint correction over these past couple of years.

I have a McKees 37 fine grade clay mitt for this project. Ivan Lacroix claims it won't Marr the paint due to advancements in technology, and in the description of the coating it says it's ok to apply over swirls and scratches.

I've already promised my customer a clay and iron decontamination this time around so I'll have to do a test spot to see if I get any marring.

I'm in agreement that there should be some level of polishing to level scratches, and clean the paint, but it's very difficult to get people to open their wallets around here and I haven't reached my target market yet.

I guess I must do pretty good work because I think it looks good and customers seem to be really happy.

My level one coating package includes polishing and Optimum Gloss Coat. I'm currently offering %25 off just to try to get some customers and gain experience with the coating but I haven't got any takers yet.

The bottom line is most people I encounter think even my lowest level package is too expensive.

You will find the right customers. You nailed it in saying your customers are happy. The word of mouth will spread quick.

People often say I’m very expensive but that I’m the best. It’s a reputation I hold proudly. I have fixed quite a few vehicles in my time after someone else “detailed” them.
Just keep at it and keep your quality superior.

Last edited:
You will find the right customers. You nailed it in saying your customers are happy. The word of mouth will spread quick.

People often say I’m very expensive but that I’m the best. It’s a reputation I hold proudly. I have fixed quite a few vehicles in my time after someone else “detailed” them.
Just keep at it and keep your quality superior.
I most definitely will brother! I'm very fortunate to have a great support system here in the forums and some awesome friends that support me as well!

Back