Help please with clear

MAXMAX

Reaction score
I was at my first car show with my car
Had a good time.
I looked at my rear bumper that I was working on the clear peeled off Ugg
Re sand with 2500 , respray the clear and wait for a a good clear!
Mike I want to say thank you I have been following you the last 15 years and because of you I was able to to do the car show!
I received many compliments on the finish!
Thanks for all your guidance!
Nock

Attachments

• IMG_5028.png
    IMG_5028.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5025.jpeg
    IMG_5025.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
I was at my first car show with my car
Had a good time.

Congratulations!

I looked at my rear bumper that I was working on the clear peeled off Ugg
Re sand with 2500 , respray the clear and wait for a a good clear!

So you're done with the repair or there's more to do?

Mike I want to say thank you I have been following you the last 15 years and because of you I was able to do the car show!
I received many compliments on the finish!
Thanks for all your guidance!
Nock

I've been typing this in the forum world forever,

There are two things I enjoy in this world,

1. Detailing cool cars
  2. Teaching others how to detail cars

Glad I've been of assistance.

Mike

I have more to do on the bumper, the clear coat didn't hold , I assume I sand with 2500 then re spray the clear , then wait to cure.
One can see it once the picture is expanded.

Attachments

• IMG_5028.png
    IMG_5028.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
I have more to do on the bumper, the clear coat didn't hold , I assume I sand with 2500 then re spray the clear , then wait to cure.

I hate to let anyone down, but paint repair work is out of my knowledge base. I would recommend finding a FREINDLY forum or Facebook group that specialized in car painting, join and ask questions. Hopefully there will some friendly members that have empathy for where you're at and will provide help without being abusive or demeaning. Kind of the norm for FB and some forums.

Mike

Trying to do a spot repair in clear coat is nearly impossible for even a professional, let alone a novice. 99%, if not 100%, of professionals I know would recommend re-clearing the entire bumper.

With that said, if you dead set on a spot repair, I'd be sanding the repair area with something in the 600G to 1000G range, maybe 1500G at the outer edges of the blend area before applying the clear. 2500G is way to fine for what you're trying to do and that may be a contributing factor to the adhesion problem you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Trying to do a spot repair in clear coat is nearly impossible for even a professional, let alone a novice. 99%, if not 100%, of professionals I know would recommend re-clearing the entire bumper.

With that said, if you dead set on a spot repair, I'd be sanding the repair area with something in the 600G to 1000G range, maybe 1500G at the outer edges of the blend area before applying the clear. 2500G is way to fine for what you're trying to do.
This is also a “rattle can special”

I attempted a clear coat repair on the hood of my 2011 FJ Cruiser about a year ago, with similar results. After some heavy rain I noticed a small bubble appearing, after it dried I barely touched it and it cracked and started to lift the surrounding clear. And it didn't even happen where I have stone chips, it happened in an area that seemed to be in good condition.

I didn't go the rattle can repair, it was a smallish spot barely an inch around, so I used a brush on, and in, clear coat. I brushed about 5 layers into it over a day or so till it had filled the hole, let it set for a couple more days, then wet sanded it down by hand till I thought it was level, it wasn't, I didn't notice till I polished it, but I wasn't too concerned as the spot was very visible because of metallic paint, I don't know if a spay clear would have been better. The clear started lifting within a couple of weeks anyway, the FJ lives outside anyway, so I masked off a suitable section of the hood and plastidipped it matte black, but a year later and the plastidip is lifting where the repair was, so I may just mask and spray it again, it's high enough that most people don't notice.

Attachments

• PSX_20230223_181408.jpg
    PSX_20230223_181408.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PSX_20230302_162832.jpg
    PSX_20230302_162832.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PSX_20230302_163641.jpg
    PSX_20230302_163641.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 2
It's definitely a very tricky process . I have seen it done . What have learned is patience , preparation and time for the paints to cure. I am sure weather has something to do with it also! Very warm weather weather doesn't help much either when applying!

Back