How to capture the swirl shots using high overhead sunlight - Dr. Beasley's Roadshow Classes!

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
How to capture the swirl shots using high overhead sunlight - Dr. Beasley's Roadshow Classes!

Swirls in paint reveals by high, bright overhead sunlight
full

For those submitting pictures of their cars for any of our upcoming detailing classes, below are some tips on capturing pictures of your car and capturing pictures of the current quality of the paint.

Capturing swirls
If using overhead sunlight, pick a time when the sun is high overhead. Then stand on the car in a way that the reflection of the sun is bouncing back into your eyes.

Tip: It helps take a picture that includes part of the car, don't just take a picture of the sun reflection in the paint. The reason why is often times your camera will not focus properly without something providing contrast in the picture. Also - we want to see the LOCATION of where you're shooting the picture for context.

Like this 1968 Camaro I photographed to document the current condition of the paint finish.

Here's the frame-up shot
From this picture I can see the entire car and I can easily identity make and model.

full

Swirl shot
See how I captured the sun in the paint but also capture the front driver's side corner of the Camaro.

full

Swirl Shot
Same concept here, captured the swirls in the paint on the hood and you can easily see the location of the car I'm photographing.

full

Cropped out section
This is the same photo above only I cropped out the surrounding fluff and zeroed in on the pertinent portion. I'm using an iPhone 14

full

Frame-up shot
You can easily see I'm shooting the top of the trunk lid on the passenger side of the car.

full

3 swirls shots
You can easily see where the sun is shining and lighting up 3 different areas on the back of the car - all totally swirled-out.

full

Wicked bad engine!
Just throwing this in for fun. Stay tuned for an upcoming video for this wicked cool 1968 Camaro.

full

You can text me or email me the pictures. And of course, goes without saying, use the best quality option for taking the pictures and send me the full size resolution files.

Text to: 760-515-0444

Email to: mike@drbeasleys.com

Thank you and after you submit your photos I will get back to you.

Mike Phillips

More...

The Front Side Angle Shot
The front side angle shot is a shot that you take from the front side of a car. This enables most cameras to capture the ENTIRE car in the picture. Sad to say, too often when I ask someone to send me a picture of their car, there's a portion of the car cut out of the picture. What's more silly, is there's open space on the other side of nothing? Please, frame-up your shots before pushing the picture-taking-button. :)

This is the Front Side Angle Shot
You can take it from either side or from behind, the BIG PICTURE is to capture the ENTIRE car in the shot. Not a part of the car, not some of the car, not most of the car, the ENTIRE car.

full

Mike

Reactions: Mak
Back