How to do a Test Spot using a Rotary Polisher

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
How to do a Test Spot using a Rotary Polisher

This video was shot first thing Thursday morning as we were starting the first of a 2-day class at Lake Country Pads in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

You'll notice I'm talking fast. That's because we had a LOT of topics to cover in 2-days. I also promised to have rotary polishers IN THE HANDS of the students by 9:00am, which we accomplished. Class started at 8:00am sharp - takes a while to do side-work like taping off all the plastic trim on the first car and first truck for the morning session plus show how to use a rotary polisher.

-Mike

Absolutely superb. 3 hours worth of solid advice in what...15-20 mins?

Thank you, Mike.

I am now 100% rotary for my initial cuts and then Flex 3401 VRG for refinement. I have cut down my work times significantly!

Absolutely superb. 3 hours worth of solid advice in what...15-20 mins?

Thank you, Mike.

I am now 100% rotary for my initial cuts and then Flex 3401 VRG for refinement. I have cut down my work times significantly!

Thank you.

There were 2 negative comments to date in the comments section.

One comment about how you can't use the results from a Test Spot on one panel to dial in a process that can be used over the rest of the car body panels. This is accurate in most cases. The exception is if a body panel has been repainted. But even then, unless the paint is on the extreme hard or extreme soft side as COMPARED to the existing paint - chances are actually pretty good what was used on the factory paint will in fact work on the repaint. This of course is assuming you're using great abrasive technology to start with.

The other comment was someone dismissing the value of counting your section passes out loud to ensure you don't under buff or over-buff any distinct section. The person can dismiss this technique all the like but I use it myself and it always keeps me accurate and saves time. And each year I attend Mobile Tech Expo - I have people that I have taught this technique in multiple, multiple classes for years now vindicate me by telling me they put this technique into practice, and it work.

Out of alll the various social media platforms available - I still like forums the best. It seems like it tends to keep things a tick more polite. Nothing wrong with people sharing their opinion, just saying.

:)

I saw both of those comments and, yes, agree with the first and disagree with the second.

First, it's true you can encounter a section that doesn't respond "just like" your test spot but, for me, that's rare. If you do, simply adjust. Then go back to the tested conditions for the rest.

I now always say my pass # aloud. Personal pref, esp when my hot neighbor walks her dog.

Last edited:
Back