Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
LIVE Online Detailing Class - How Dry Sand Car Paint by Hand

Here's the LIVE video on YouTube

Starting Wednesday, December 20th, watch LIVE and interact during the live feed 1:00pm Pacific, 3:00pm Central or 4:00pm Eastern on either of these social media platforms.

Dr. Beasley's Facebook Page

Dr. Beasley's YouTube Channel

This is a 2020 Hertz Special Edition Camaro SS - Number #14 of 224 built. Sad to say but because this was a Hertz Rental Car, the paint is totally trashed with swirl and scratches. At least 2 of the body panels appear to have been repainted. It is these repainted body panels that we are going to share tips and techniques for HAND dry sanding in this first episode of our LIVE detailing class. Then we'll have the car back for a second episode where we'll cover MACHINE dry sanding.

Besides showing how to use the Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX Dry Sanding System, we will also cover,

1. Paint inspection with swirl finder lights and Paint Thickness Gauge.
  2. Rotary polisher techniques.
  3. Wool pad techniques.
  4. Orbital polisher techniques.
  5. Using a Ceramic AIO as a Finishing Polish.
  6. Using Bead Hero as a Ceramic Topper.

Join us via either Facebook or YouTube and interact LIVE with your questions and comments.

See you there!

Mike

Last edited:
More....

Here's the Camaro at Dr. Beasley's O.R. in sunny, Stuart, Florida.

full

full

Looks perfectly fine under a cloudy sky...

full

full

full

Lake Country Swirl Finder Light
But let's take a closer look only this time, let's light her up!

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX
For the dry sanding by hand episode, we're going to showcase the SuperAssilex Peach Sanding Sheets with Eagle hand blocks and interface pads.

full

Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX
For the machine dry sanding episode, we're going to showcase the Buflex Blue Sanding Discs Eagle Interface Pads with FLEX DA Sanders - the FX3411 and the PXE-80

full

full

The FLEX FX3411 and the PXE-80

full

For removing the sanding mark and then polishing to a swirl-free finish

full

:)

Last edited:
More...

The owner brought the car by today for me to take a second look at the panels we both believe have been repainted. See below with comments...

This is the passenger door. There's a large section under the door handle that has millions of what looks like tiny dots or pock marks. I beleive this is either solvent pop or possibly just some dry spray.

full

full

Take your focus off the swirls and instead focus on all the tiny dots.

full

There are a few places with poor quality body work - see below

full

See it now?

full

full

This Wednesday, the topic will be dry hand sanding the driver's side rear fender, followed by rotary and orbital techniques.

full

full

There's some major flaws that I couldn't capture with my iPhone, but they will show up when we start sanding.

full

My iPhone captured this defect from poor quality body work - there's a lot more on this fender.

full

The action starts on Wednesday, December 20th, watch LIVE and interact during the live feed 1:00pm Pacific, 3:00pm Central or 4:00pm Eastern on either of these social media platforms.

See you here!

Mike

Here's some after shots of the driver's side rear fender after a multiple-step show car paint correction and ceramic coating process.

1. Hand dry sanding K-1500 grit SuperAssilex <-- one word
  2. Hand dry sanding K-2500 SuperBuflex <-- one word
  3. Dr. Beasley's NSP 150 with wool pad on rotary buffer
  4. Dr. Beasley's NSP 95 with foam polishing pad on the FLEX BEAST
  5. Dr. Beasley's NSP 45 with foam finishing pad on the Porter Cable 7424
  6. Dr. Beasley's Paint Coating Builder
  7. Dr. Beasley's Nano-Resin MX

Here's the final results being lit up by the Lake Country Handheld Detailing Light

full

full

full

full

Everything we used...

full

full

full

full

Up next - Machine Dry Sanding

full

Starting Wednesday, December 20th, watch LIVE and interact during the live feed 1:00pm Pacific, 3:00pm Central or 4:00pm Eastern on either of these social media platforms.

Dr. Beasley's Instagram Page

This is a 2020 Hertz Special Edition Camaro SS - Number #14 of 224 built. Sad to say but because this was a Hertz Rental Car, the paint is totally trashed with swirl and scratches. At least 2 of the body panels appear to have been repainted. It is these repainted body panels that we are going to share tips and techniques for MACHINE dry sanding in this second episode using this 2020 Camaro for our LIVE detailing class.

Besides showing how to use the Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX Dry Sanding System, we will also cover,

1. Paint inspection with swirl finder lights and Paint Thickness Gauge.
  2. Rotary polisher techniques.
  3. Wool pad techniques.
  4. Orbital polisher techniques.
  5. Using Bead Hero as a Ceramic Topper.

Join us via either Facebook, YouTube or Instagram and interact LIVE with your questions and comments.

See you there!

Mike

Thank you and Yancy and Dr. Beasley's.

Is there ever a time to buff or sand on an edge/raised body line (maybe for a show car/concourse event?) and what would be the process?

Also, would you consider the body line running under the handle on the drivers door to be a raised body line? It looks like it might be more gradually rounded (less sharp) than a crease/edge.

Lastly, I think you said you used sandpaper to shape (?) pads. I'm not sure if it would make a good article or video but I would be interested in that.

Thank you and Yancy and Dr. Beasley's.

Is there ever a time to buff or sand on an edge/raised body line (maybe for a show car/concourse event?) and what would be the process?

I wouldn't use the word ON but instead, sand close to an edge or raised body line. The problems with sanding ON and edge or raised body line is this,

1. Sanding removes paint.
  2. Compounding removes paint.
  3. Polishing removes a little paint.

Sooner or later, you're going to turn you polisher over and see the color of the basecoat on your buffing pad. What I practice and teach is called,

The Rule of Thumb

That is, stay about the distance of my thumbnail away from raised body lines or edges. Sanding is easy, it's putting scratches INTO the paint. The tricky part is getting them 100% out.

If you own the car and thus your time is your time, OR if someone will pay you by the hour or a generous amount of money to sand next to edges and body lines then go for it. But it's going to take a long time and it's not easy. And if you're not careful - you WILL burn through the Panit.

If you were to do this type of perfectionist work, then sure it can be done, you'll need a large collection of 1" cutting pads to remove the sanding marks. Like this,

full

Also, would you consider the body line running under the handle on the drivers door to be a raised body line? It looks like it might be more gradually rounded (less sharp) than a crease/edge.

Gentle rolling curves like this are radiused body lines. Still dangerous to sand on or next to. The hardest thing about these areas is the handle itself is in the way of buffing.

Lastly, I think you said you used sandpaper to shape (?) pads. I'm not sure if it would make a good article or video but I would be interested in that.

Yes, I demonstrated how to do this in the below LIVE online detailing class.

Mike

Got it.

If you were to do this type of perfectionist work, then sure it can be done, you'll need a large collection of 1" cutting pads to remove the sanding marks. Like this,
Thank you

Gentle rolling curves like this are radiused body lines. Still dangerous to sand on or next to. The hardest thing about these areas is the handle itself is in the way of buffing.
Thank you.

Yes, I demonstrated how to do this in the below LIVE online detailing class.
And thank you again.

This video has been on my watch list for a while, I'm going to hurry to watching it!

(y)

What was the reason for NSP 45?

Is it possible to go from 150 to 45?

What makes it necessary for a three step correction?

NSP 95 left hazing?
Black paint?
More gloss finish?

What was the reason for NSP 45?

Soft paint. Most abrasive technology on the market woulld cause micro-marring. If I could have finished down to perfection with NSP 95 on "this" particular repaint - I would have. but I'm doing my best work, not get-by work. :)

Is it possible to go from 150 to 45?

Yes - on some paints. On harder paints - it's possible to stop after NSP 150 and/or NSP 95 "depending upon" the pad, tool and technique.

What makes it necessary for a three step correction?

NSP 95 left hazing?
Black paint?
More gloss finish?

Truly all of my above answers.

To remove the sanding marks (LIVE on camera) as to avoid as many Troll comments as possible, I pushed hard when using the rotary. When shooting live - there is no room for a mistake.

To remove the holograms from the FIBERS from the spinning wool pad against soft paint - I needed the NSP 95 to CUT & LEVEL the paint and thus remove any holograms.

Pushing hard with a foam polishing pad on soft paint using a gear-driven orbital risks leaving some PAD MARRING - not product or abrasive technology, at least with the spherical abrasive technology used in the NSP Primers. Also, as I shared in the LIVE video, gear-driven orbital polishers do NOT normally or at least easily and consistently finish down as nice as free spinning random orbital polishers. So to perfect the results - I switched to an 8mm free spinning random orbiatl polisher with a soft foam FINISHING pad and the NSP Primer. The results were black perfection.

My next step will be to install the Dr. Beasley's Nano-Resin MX without using a Panel Wipe.

And just to point out - while the paint on this car is hammered, my goal is to take it to its maximum potential. This means show car detailing, or multiple step paint correction.

Stay tuned.

:)

More...

In the Part 1 of this 2-Part LIVE online detailing class where we dry sanded by HAND - the next day I finished the driver's side rear fender, all the way up to ceramic coating, (the entire fender including under the air spoiler), and then posted some of the AFTER PICTURES in the thread for this LIVE video class.

Here's Part 1

LIVE Online Detailing Class - How Dry Sand Car Paint by Hand

Here's the final results being lit up by the Lake Country Handheld Detailing Light

full

full

full

full

Great questions Daniel - thank you for thinking about this process and asking the follow-up questions. 🍻

Mike

Back