LIVE Online Detailing Class - How to sand and polish Plexiglass crystal CLEAR!

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
LIVE Online Detailing Class - How to sand and polish Plexiglass crystal CLEAR!

Here's the video archived on the Dr. Beasley's YouTube channel.

Swirls and scratches are a COMMON problem with the classic Corvette hardtops for C2 and C3 Corvettes. Over time, the inside and the outside of the plastic rear back window becomes filled with swirls and scratches.

This is the 4th classic Corvette Plexiglas rear window I've performed surgery on. The key thing to remember, is the key thing to know understand polishing car paint and that is,

The most important factor when it comes to polishing paint is the abrasive technology.

And this is even MORE important when it comes to CLEAR plastics, both rigid and flexible versions.

Tune in live so you can comment and ask questions in real-time as we show,

Step 1: Machine dry sanding with SuperAssilex K-500 by Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX.

Step 2: Machine dry sand plastic window with Green Super Buflex K-2000 Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX.

OPTIONAL - Refine sanding marks using Black Super Buflex K-3000 by Eagle Abrasives by KOVAX.

Step 3: Remove sanding marks using NSP 150 with wool pad and rotary polisher.

Step 4: Remove holograms from wool pad using NSP 95 with foam pad on BEAST.

Step 5: Maximize clarity and perfect the plastic using NSP 45 with Porter Cable and finishing pad.

Step 6: Apply Dr. Beasley's Nano-Resin MX Ceramic Coating.

We go live at,

1:00pm Pacific Time
3:00pm Central Time
4:00pm Eastern Time

Watch and interact on any Dr. Beasley's social media platforms.

Dr. Beasley's Facebook Page

Dr. Beasley's YouTube Channel

Dr. Beasley's Instagram Page

And remember, when you join us for the live broadcast you can interact in REAL-TIME! (can't do that after the fact).

Stay tuned...

Mike

Last edited:
Continued...

Here's some before pictures to photo-document the before and after results. So important to always get the BEFORE shots. If you don't, you cannot go back in time to get them. Unless Sheldon on the Big Bany invents a working time machine.

Here she is looking all perdy in the O.R.

full

Here's a high overhead sun shot outside to show how swirled-out the Plexiglass window is in its current condition.

full

After moving the Corvette into the garage, I took some before pictures using the overhead LED lights.

full

full

There a number of random deeper scratches here and there and this is why we will be machine sanding - it's to level these scratches before buffing.

full

The below shot is with the Lake Country Hand Held Light - and "yes" it really looks this bad in person and the weird thing is the swirls and scratches are not only on the outside - they're also on the INSIDE!

full

Here's most of what we'll be using for the operation.

full

Beautiful car but she'll look even gooder after we fix the back window so the owner can see out of it. :)

full

Mike

I mentioned machine polishing FLEXIBLE clear plastic and show the process in this article

Mike

Thanks for the video, after watching this I’ll try to sand and polish my side by side glass and get some practice.

UTV. I call it a side by side. Front windshield is some form of plexiglass. In the reflection of this vehicle.😀

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 1
Be very cautious.

I don't see "real" plexiglas being used any longer and haven't seen it used for years, maybe decades.

Technology has changed and most clear plastics are MUCH harder. I've NEVER seen Lexan fixed.

So my guess is, whatever this is you're thinking of sanding - I would be very cautious. Maybe test and see if you can improve it with polishing first and go from there.

[b[And FYI[/b]

The brand name Plexiglas is spelled with only ONE letter S at the end of the word. Most people misspell it and type it like this,

Plexiglass <-- wrong

Plexiglas <-- right

Mike

Back