Mike and this, his forum.

Silly Rabbit

Reaction score
Well, going off what others have said, thank you Mike!
For this forum, a place for people with the interest of detailing amd related, can have a place to connect and relax. And thanks for your endless knowledge and time willing to share it, years of learning.

And thanks to all the other members on here (and the other 2 forums we log into).
There is such a crazy number of hours, years, decades, of total hands in this field, job, hobby, (it is those and anything to everyone on here). There are members, like Mike, that have so much knowledge and experiences to share so knuckleheads like me personally can take and learn from, or even just read about.

Auto and Autop, both have sooo sooo much archived information and articles and threads, posts etc on so much. It really is a great history, and not a day goes by I don't read an older thread and take something in. I have learned about so many products and methods and such it's great. It really opened my eyes to the detail world, how big, but also how.... tight?? It is. If you were to see my name logged in and see 'what post thread they are on', I swear 50% of the time it would be an older thread.
It really would be a shame to see either stop working.
Now with that said, havimg this site, from Mike - thank you again sir - can't replace all that history, but it can be a place to feel like it was only 'a slight bump in the road' shall we say, lol.
Both those sites are thick Mike as well, the older threads. So I imagine you Mike, will feel a bit down if they ever dropped out. Even with this new forum.
I know alot of people are on both those sites, so why not a 3rd?, here! Then everyone stays connected no matter what.

I also like the idea of lots of brands disscussed. I feel the detail world is massive, and all these brands brings competition, more, better products. Do you think the amount of great products, and vast array, would be as big or good today if there was only 4 or 5 brands?? I don't think so myself, there would still only be carnuba and a sealant or 2. Lol, joking, but you get my direction. The brands all try to be the best, or new best thing. Lool how many polisher machines have come from what started as 1 or a few decades ago (Mike you can interject here in the history timeline of polishers, I am blabbing... to make a point I guess)
But I love hearing about new stuff, even if it sucks. At least somebody tried it so I now know to leave it on the shelf.
I never would have ever heard about so many companies without the forums. I mean, Polish Angel, Tac, Fireball, list goes on. You don't hear about these unless others deep in the detail world shares it.
And I do love Meguiars, I have alot of stuff. But I am also happy with other brands now too. And Megs doesn't have to worry, I will still buy stuff from them. (Would love to hear you story about Megs forum rule you changed Mike) Same with every brand.
Ok, I rambled enough these posts, my words are just words, lol.

I will second everything said

I was sooooo glad when the ban on discussing non AGO products was lifted and you could have meaningful conversations about ALL the possibilities for solving a given problem or situation

Having that here from the get go is a blessing

And as I said in the other thread, Mike literally wrote the book

Enough said

I was thrilled to have found this site after having no luck gaining full access to the other two sites that I had browsed and searched (but never posted) in previous years. I know it’s a lot of work for the forum Owner/Admin, and just dealing with the users and their sometimes childish antics can be the biggest PITA…

Special interest forums like this can be such a wealth of knowledge and archive of information. I’ll never understand the apparent preference that the majority of folks these days have for the maddening (and useless IMO) Facebook Groups that seem to have taken over and often completely killed-off some invaluable resources.

With FB it’s the same questions repeated day in and day out. Everything has scrolled off the page after a few posts, so out of sight, out of mind. It’s like every day is just starting over fresh. Interesting or important topics or message threads just disappear and are forgotten, instead of them continuing to expand and be further refined.

Not to mention the typical A-holes who thrive on creating conflict, and the ones who seem to be compelled to respond to every topic and give advice and incorrect answers regarding things they have no experience with and know nothing about…

You won’t find much of that here. For the most part, members are mature and respectful and MIke Phillips is a seasoned administrator who knows how to keep a forum in order

I’ll never understand the apparent preference that the majority of folks these days have for the maddening (and useless IMO) Facebook Groups that seem to have taken over and often completely killed-off some invaluable resources.

With FB it’s the same questions repeated day in and day out. Everything has scrolled off the page after a few posts, so out of sight, out of mind. It’s like every day is just starting over fresh. Interesting or important topics or message threads just disappear and are forgotten, instead of them continuing to expand and be further refined.

Not to mention the typical A-holes who thrive on creating conflict, and the ones who seem to be compelled to respond to every topic and give advice and incorrect answers regarding things they have no experience with and know nothing about…

I agree with all of the above.

I get it why FB Groups are popular, they are easy to interact on via a smart phone, including uploading pictures and videos.

The downside, they don't display meaty information and the resulting conversation in an easy to read and digest format. Like this,

Review: Harbor Freight HC109B Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

HFForcedRotationPolisher023.jpg

I haven't counted how many pictures are in the above article or how many words, but one thing for sure, I could NEVER share this on Facebook or Instagram, or Periscope, or whatever the next latest, greatest platform is puked out onto the Internet. LOL I also like having my own photo gallery. I've never liked any of the other free or paid options.

So for me personally, a person that writes a lot of how-to articles, FB Groups suck. And I rarely type out tatty words like suck, so you can completely understand how I feel about them.

There's also too much drama and most of it is caused by people that would be kicked off this forum simply for the words they use and the way some of these people talk to others in a demeaning manner. I just can't stomache it.

So instead of complaining, I simply brought up my own forum. And I run it just like I ran MOL and AGO, and if you really want to go back in time, I run this forum like I ran my first forum, "The art of polishing paint" followed by "Showcargarage.com".

Have to go, setting up for today's live broadcast on cordless rotary polishers.

Mike

I agree with all of the above.

I get it why FB Groups are popular, they are easy to interact on via a smart phone, including uploading pictures and videos.

The downside, they don't display meaty information and the resulting conversation in an easy to read and digest format. Like this,

Review: Harbor Freight HC109B Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

HFForcedRotationPolisher023.jpg

I haven't counted how many pictures are in the above article or how many words, but one thing for sure, I could NEVER share this on Facebook or Instagram, or Periscope, or whatever the next latest, greatest platform is puked out onto the Internet. LOL I also like having my own photo gallery. I've never liked any of the other free or paid options.

So for me personally, a person that writes a lot of how-to articles, FB Groups suck. And I rarely type out tatty words like suck, so you can completely understand how I feel about them.

There's also too much drama and most of it is caused by people that would be kicked off this forum simply for the words they use and the way some of these people talk to others in a demeaning manner. I just can't stomache it.

So instead of complaining, I simply brought up my own forum. And I run it just like I ran MOL and AGO, and if you really want to go back in time, I run this forum like I ran my first forum, "The art of polishing paint" followed by "Showcargarage.com".

Have to go, setting up for today's live broadcast on cordless rotary polishers.

Mike
Even if you did post it in a FB group, you would have to repost it at least a couple times a week after the same questions keep coming up. :ROFLMAO: Even with the rudimentary search function, nobody uses it. I’m a member of a lot of FB groups only because I can’t find the subject a more in an active old-fashioned discussion forum. I used to try and post lengthy and helpful responses and pics to thoughtfully presented questions. However, I’ve all but given up doing that because the same thing can and will come up a day or two later like that horse hadn’t just been beaten to death…
Good luck with your live broadcast(y)

Even if you did post it in a FB group, you would have to repost it at least a couple times a week after the same questions keep coming up. :ROFLMAO: Even with the rudimentary search function, nobody uses it. I’m a member of a lot of FB groups only because I can’t find the subject a more in an active old-fashioned discussion forum. I used to try and post lengthy and helpful responses and pics to thoughtfully presented questions. However, I’ve all but given up doing that because the same thing can and will come up a day or two later like that horse hadn’t just been beaten to death…
Good luck with your live broadcast(y)

Agree and thanks.

:)

Reactions: Mak
Back