Paint depth gauge recommendations

Shane Pennington

Reaction score
I've had a paint depth gauge for years, but I've now misplaced it somehow and need to replace it. Any recommendations on which one to get?

I need to purchase a PTG also along with some other items.

I have always been impressed with Defelsko technology - and I’m pretty sure the Defelsko brand is the brand that is often knocked-off.

I’ll be doing research as I’ll need this info for a future project.

I think a lot of people get cheap units off Amazon. The major issue with cheap is accuracy over time.

:)

I need to purchase a PTG also along with some other items.

I have always been impressed with Defelsko technology - and I’m pretty sure the Defelsko brand is the brand that is often knocked-off.

I’ll be doing research as I’ll need this info for a future project.

I think a lot of people get cheap units off Amazon. The major issue with cheap is accuracy over time.

Please let me know what model you choose, and also if you come across a Defelsko unit that can send readings to an app, so I can create digital reports for my customers. I know there are some cheaper units that do this, but it would be nice to have a better quality unit.

Screenshot_20211207-113733_Facebook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a video a short while back where Justin Rose (Used to be with Meguiars. Now,... not sure who he works for) rec'd Extech CG 204 as a paint thickness gauge. I don't remember the details of why.

I saw a video a short while back where Justin Rose (Used to be with Meguiars. Now,... not sure who he works for) rec'd Extech CG 204 as a paint thickness gauge. I don't remember the details of why.

I watched that video too but didn't absorb why he liked that unit.

I'm going to do my own research but I will include the opinions of others like Jason as he is incredibly smart when it comes to the topic of car detailing and specficially polishing paint.

Just to add...

I've always explained to people that a Paint Thickness Gauge is for making the Go or No Go decision as to whether to polish a car or a panel or not or whether or not to use a compound or just stick with a polish. I noticed Jason used this analogy also. Could be he came up with it on his own and our minds think alike but I've been "typing" that explanation in the forum world for years, possibly decades and of course I verbalize it when I talk in classes or video.

Me? I'll use one to get the BIG PICTURE about the overall thickness of the paint but at the end of the day, I'm either going to buff the car out or I'm not. I don't invest any of my time documenting measurements because if I'm fooling around doing this type of well-intentioned work I'm not running the buffer.

In the last week I've detailed 4 cars and all of them came out great and at this time I don't own a paint thickness gauge. 2 of these cars had the ORIGINAL paint, one car from 1983 the other from 1961.

So I do think it's important to use a PTG but I also believe you need to bring balance to how you use it.

That said, documenting the thickness of each panel is great MARKETING.

I've had a paint depth gauge for years, but I've now misplaced it somehow and need to replace it. Any recommendations on which one to get?
I just want to throw Elcometer into the mix. Personally, I like how they look a lot more than Defelsko. Performance wise I'm not sure which has the edge though, if either.

Also, something else to consider: I believe the gauges work through contacting the paint with a metal tip (unless you go ultrasonic?), which can scratch the paint if your hand slips. I don't think i've ever seen someone else mention this, though, so maybe this is only a concern for me

A PTG may also tell you if a panel has been repainted.

Personally, These are the two units I use. I use the "gold standard" to be safe.
They are a big investment but they are a lot cheaper than paying for a repaint.

DeFelsko PosiTest DFT Paint Thickness Gauge for ferrous/non-ferrous metals
For most metals
DeFelsko 200C3-G PosiTector 200 C3 Advanced Ultrasonic Coating Thickness Gauge
For carbon fiber, plastics, fiberglass, etc.

I'm of the mindset...Do it once, do it right. You can't go wrong with DeFelsko.

I just use mine to tell me go or no go.

This is how I explain it. A PTG is to help you make the "go" or "no go" decision.

I recently buffed out a very rare car. At this time I cannot share pictures but after the car sells at auction, i can.

I was asked to wet sand the paint to get it perfect. I told the current owner,

Can I talk to the painter?

He said, no.

I said,

Then I'm not going to sand the paint.

I had a PTG with me but never removed it from the case. Instead, I used good products, the right tools for the job and focused on the task at hand. I got the paint perfect with ZERO black paint on any of my buffing pads. I used a wool pad on a FLEX rotary polisher and a foam polishing pad on the FLEX BEAST followed by a foam finishing pad on the FLEX Finisher.

A PTG is an important tool and everyone serious about paint correction should have one.

-Mike

I'm buffing out another very rare car today. A MOPAR.

I'll take some paint thickness readings but I'm still going to compound and polish the paint regardless of the paint thickness as the owner wants the paint as perfect as possible. The hood is totally swirled-out and scratched-up. Not sure about the rest of the paint.

Stay tuned...

-Mike

Back