PBL Vinyl and Leather Coating on Ford King Ranch Leather

Jacob Harrod AutoClean

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to purchace the PBL (Pinnacle Black Label) Hide soft leather kit for use on the interior of a late model Ford pickup truck (not sure of the exact year) I have two questions.

1. Can you use the PBL Vinyl and Leather Coating on King Ranch Leather?

2. What are your recommended cleaning tips for the KR leather? I was planning on cleaning according to the directions on this article.

I'm not really sure about the patting technique. I feel like I may need to at least do some type of gentle rubbing technique on a test spot first to see if it lifts the dirt out of the leather a little better. I did order 5 of the Cobra white and blue MF applicators. I hope I got enough.

You cannot use the PBL Leather/Vinyl Coating on the earlier style leather. I'm pretty sure it will stain it. Nick Rutter would be a good person to double-check with. Nick did all the research and testing with these products when they originally launched.

What year Ford Truck are you working on? If it's 2009 or newer then treat like coated leather.

My guess is Ford had a TON of unhappy customer PROBLEMS (not issues), with the Castano Leather in the earlier version. While a romantic idea to put raw cowhide in a truck to create that RUGGED perception - most people can't wash their car or truck correctly let alone deal with specialty materials. Especially considering the masses have a Walmart Mentality.

Also - if there's any per-existing damage or "problems" with the leather, be wary about taking the job on.

:)

You cannot use the PBL Leather/Vinyl Coating on the earlier style leather. I'm pretty sure it will stain it. Nick Rutter would be a good person to double-check with. Nick did all the research and testing with these products when they originally launched.

What year Ford Truck are you working on? If it's 2009 or newer then treat like coated leather.

My guess is Ford had a TON of unhappy customer PROBLEMS (not issues), with the Castano Leather in the earlier version. While a romantic idea to put raw cowhide in a truck to create that RUGGED perception - most people can't wash their car or truck correctly let alone deal with specialty materials. Especially considering the masses have a Walmart Mentality.

Also - if there's any per-existing damage or "problems" with the leather, be wary about taking the job on.

It's a 2010. I think there is possibly some leather damage and cracking. I'd hate to stain the leather. Would you say that if the leather darkens when applying the leather cleaner that I should not apply the coating? Maybe I can find an inconspicuous area to test the coating on first and post a pic here. 🤔

It's a 2010. I think there is possibly some leather damage and cracking. I'd hate to stain the leather. Would you say that if the leather darkens when applying the leather cleaner that I should not apply the coating? Maybe I can find an inconspicuous area to test the coating on first and post a pic here. 🤔

If it's a 2010 it should be the coated type leather, basically looks like vinyl. I'm not 100% for sure as I have not detailed a lot of Ford trucks.

If the leather looks like an old baseball glove, then it's the original style.

Me? If it is the old or original style leather, I wouldn't mess with it as if anything goes wrong, (or something was wrong to start with), I don't need the headache.

If it's like 99.9% of all new cars and trucks, then it's coated leather and it's basically like working on vinyl.

If it's a 2010 it should be the coated type leather, basically looks like vinyl. I'm not 100% for sure as I have not detailed a lot of Ford trucks.

Me? If it is the old or original style leather, I wouldn't mess with it as if anything goes wrong, (or something was wrong to start with), I don't need the headache.

If it's like 99.9% of all new cars and trucks, then it's coated leather and it's basically like working on vinyl.

Thanks Mike! This is a big help! It's my buddies truck. I'll forward this information to him.

Here's a pic of the leather Mike! I'm most certainly sure at this point it's the coated type of leather.

Attachments

• received_540001250679886.jpeg
    received_540001250679886.jpeg
    595.7 KB · Views: 10
Here's a pic of the leather Mike! I'm most certainly sure at this point it's the coated type of leather.

Whatever it is... it's past the point of no return...

full

I know you already know this but just to say it out loud...

Ain't nothing going to fix this leather to make it look good, normal or original.

Be careful about making any promises. My guess is anything you apply to what's left of the "material" - whatever it is, it's going to darken it - at least temporarily simply because this "material" is dried out and it's going to absorb any liquids introduced.

Here's a suggestion - find a forum or a facebook group just for this truck, I'm sure one exists. Then share the above picture and ask the in-house gurus if they have any product recommendation.

Whoever did the wearing-out of the seats/truck... they got their money's worth.

Back