Polished Aluminum Wheels - How to Restore and Protect?

KirbyT

Reaction score
I have a inquiry for a new customer with American Racing BAJA polished aluminum that have been neglected and need a polish. Ideally I think they would need some type of protection and was considering using a ceramic coating, I have used Carpro DLUX for modern clear coated wheels. After seeing the sample pictures I need suggestions from the forum on ways to chemically decontaminate, clean, polish, and last to protect. Anyone with experience of things to consider, these are not easy wheels to clean the rear wheel barrels on the vehicle. I am thinking this is a wheels-off process.
FYI: I contacted American Racing and these wheels have no clear coat applied, pure aluminum.
https://www.americanracing.com/american-racing-baja
IMG_2803.jpegIMG_2805.jpeg

Nice looking wheels.

If the customer doesn't want to spend a ton of money the the quick, fast easy way to bring these back to life if to simply machine polish with one of the many drill attachment polishing balls and you're favorite metal polish.

Due to the visible pitting in the aluminum - to get them perfect you'll have to start with sanding the aluminum flat to remove the pits. This will make for a long, complicated process.

:)

Sadly the owner did not know how to care for them and as seen the brake dust and road grime bonded to both sides of the wheels. This was a wheels-off service that I estimated based upon the photos of 1.5/hours per wheel. First one took me 2.5 hours and was not encouraging in the final result. Was it better, yes but far from fully restored.

Method used as Mike suggested was the Mother's PowerCone Polishing tool and Mother's Mag/Aluminum. But I tried multi-steps with Dr. Beasley' Intensive Brake Remover, sanding with Mirka 3-inch 2000 grit, and several brands of metal polish. For the final touch used Dr. Beasley's Metal Coat to safely seal the surface for at least another year.

Please consider a product suggest by Mike Hoekstra (Auto Massage LLC) to help before the polishing step, California Custom Aluminum Deoxidizer. On my last wheel of the day it cleaned up the back of the wheel after the sanding step to remove the brake dust.

Total time to pull each wheel and finish out both sides of the tires and remove and torque was 8-hours. I was working outside in our summer temp, high 99-degrees, under my 10x10 canopy. I was so glad to be done.

Attachments

• IMG_8246.JPG
    IMG_8246.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8259.JPG
    IMG_8259.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
Wow! Amazing before and after difference Kirby.

full

Restoring pitted aluminum wheels can be done - it's just a matter of time, labor and materials.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I was offline after returning to the USA from England for a few days. All good now.

:)

On this topic of using the Mother's PowerCone 360 polisher (foam tool) I want to know any tips on cleaning out the old spent polish that is in the foam itself. That grey slime is hard to wash out and not good on the customer's driveway, do not ask about that complaint.

Use some APC, clean as best as you can, dry and put it away. And hope it will be some time before you need it again.

Back