Product for Tire browning

Skier404

Reaction score
Looking for product recommendations for removing the browning that occurs on tires. I currently use Meg's non acid wheel cleaner and it does ok. I've also used 3D Super Wheel Cleaner. 3D doesn't do the job for the browning, but have been very happy with its ability for wheel cleaning.

Thinking bout giving CarPro Retyre a shot and see how it does.

Follow up what are people using for a dry satin tire dressing? Sticking with CarPro gonna give Perl a try.

Gyeon has a great tire cleaner, probably on par with Carpro's.
For tire dressing I have been using Jescar Tire & Trim last 2 summers. I was going to grab Carpro Darkside, but Guz (member on here and other forums) used both and said Jescar ftw. So I'm sticking with Jescar.

Thanks for recommendation. I was looking at Gyeon. Probably gonna give it a shot. The price for small bottle isn’t terrible.

Wheels and tires take 2 different levels of PH to be effective. I can't remember off hand but one takes a base PH and the other an acidic PH. A wheel cleaner will not be effective on tires and a tire cleaner will not be effective on wheels. A tire and wheel cleaner is I believe near neutral PH and is a compromise to clean both. If you have tire browning use a dedicated tire cleaner then follow up with a wheel or wheel and tire cleaner as needed.

Just to chime in, been a ticky busy lately... :)

The browning color is a chemical in the tire rubber formula called antiozonant. It leaches out of the tire simply as a natural process of the rubber wearing out or breaking down. I've been told it is desinged to leach outward as it keeps the tire sidewall flexible? I am not a rubber chemist so I don't know the actual truth to this implication.

Here is a great read on the topic that does in fact back-up what I've been told over the decades.

Part I – oxidation / ozonation of rubber

That said, like Bill stated, to clean browning off of tire, you're best bet will be to use a dedicated tire/rubber cleaner. Some wheel cleaners of course will work, it just depends on how bad the browning discoloration is?

Wheels have two things that build up on them, brake dust and oil traffic film, (if you drive in the rain), so cleaning tires and cleaning rims "can" require dedicated products for the best results - it just depends on how bad or how neglected both are.

Hope this helps...

I also switched over to Gyeon's tire cleaner. It works great for me.

Looking for product recommendations for removing the browning that occurs on tires.

Thinking bout giving CarPro Retyre a shot and see how it does.

Follow up what are people using for a dry satin tire dressing? Sticking with CarPro gonna give Perl a try.

I've had good results with Carpro Retyre.

There is OBSSSSD Tire Dressing - Matte and Satin
I really like the Matte it looks rich without any "glazed donut" look.

IMHO Pearl is not a good option for tires. It's too shiny and may sling.

I've had good results with Carpro Retyre.

There is OBSSSSD Tire Dressing - Matte and Satin
I really like the Matte it looks rich without any "glazed donut" look.

IMHO Pearl is not a good option for tires. It's too shiny and may sling.
I still have PERL and never had it sling. To cut back on the shine, simply wipe down the tires. That said, I'm going with Duragloss next

I've used PERL. I had it brown on me, so I stopped using it. I've switched over to Nextzett Vinyl-Rubber Extra and I'm happy with it.

Back