Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
Removing Holograms - LIVE Online Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

***Update***

Here's the recorded version of the LIVE online Detailing Class. Plus lots of tips and techniques for using a rotary polisher. Also the unique characteristics for single stage METALLIC paint versus modern basecoat/clearcoat paint systems.

full

Watch on YouTube

Watch on Facebook

Today I'll be talking about the difference between swirls and holograms. This 1978 AMC Pacer has both, swirls and holograms as well as a LOT of straight line scratches throughout the paint.

I understand how the swirls and holograms get into the paint... but how the heck does someone be so careless as to instill all the straight line scratches?

The holograms look to be instilled by the use of a wool pad on a rotary polisher and what I call a Caveman Compound, which means the holograms are DEEP.

I LOVE a good wool pad for use with a rotary buffer but never to FINISH with. For finish polishing, you should always follow wool pads with FOAM pads. The uniform texture of the surface of a foam pad reduces the potential for holograms, depending upon the type or coarseness of the foam.

I will also be Dr. Beasley's NSP 150 to cut with, followed by NSP 95 to polish with. Using FLEX polishers.

This LIVE broadcast starts at 1:00pm Pacific Time or 4:00pm Eastern Time.

Mike

Last edited:
More...

Here's some before pictures photo-documenting the holograms.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

The definition for the word hologram

A specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary polisher and in most cases some type of wool or fiber pad.

The pattern of swirls you see are actually scratches and the pattern you see in the paint mimics the direction a rotary polisher was moved over the surface.

Sometimes people will refer to micro-marring caused by the abrasive technology and/or the pad used on an orbital polisher as holograms. But these scratches are not holograms but micro-marring. It is true that on darker colored paint you can see a pattern in the paint that mimics the way an orbital polisher was moved over the surface but even so, this pattern and these scratches are not the same as the scratches instilled by the single rotational direction of a pad spinning against the paint when using a rotary buffer and some form of fiber pad.

Fibers are a form of abrasives. The fibers cut into the paint just like abrasives. So even if you buffed with a wool pad on a rotary polisher and a non-abrasive polish - you could and normally would still inflict holograms solely from the fibers of the pad.

Wool pads and rotary polishers are great when you need to do major paint correction fast. But you should always follow any wool or fiber pad work with a rotary by using a foam pad.

One reason it's important to distinguish between the two types of scratch patterns is so that everyone in our industry is on the same page when discussion paint defects.

Mike

***Update***

Here's the recorded version of the LIVE online Detailing Class. Plus lots of tips and techniques for using a rotary polisher. Also the unique characteristics for single stage METALLIC paint versus modern basecoat/clearcoat paint systems.

Mike

Last edited:
Unbelievable! Superb video. I never knew that about single stage metallics turning the pads black. Makes perfect sense.

And to see The Master turn that thing almost vertical on those fake louvers! And with 1 hand at times!

You mentioned counting your passes out loud a number of years ago on a video you did for the Geek. I’ve never forgotten that and do it when I’m correcting. Definitely a time saver!

Unbelievable! Superb video. I never knew that about single stage metallics turning the pads black. Makes perfect sense.

And to see The Master turn that thing almost vertical on those fake louvers! And with 1 hand at times!

Ha ha... thanks for chiming in Paul.

As soon as I catch up on this forum I'm going out to do sub-surface glass polishing on tohe Pacer. Then machine polish the slotted mags, then scrub the black paint off the tires, and finally finish the paint.

Some guy on the geek forum called me a pencil pusher. LOL

Mike

You mentioned counting your passes out loud a number of years ago on a video you did for the Geek. I’ve never forgotten that and do it when I’m correcting. Definitely a time saver!

Yup, I do it anytime I'm buffing out a car. It simply works and my wife Stacy appreciates me getting done in a timely manner and coming home.

:)

Back