SPTA Cordless Mini Polisher

Reaction score
I've had an early generation GG 3" polisher forever (I forget whether it's the first or second generation). This is an underwhelming machine, but I've found it useful for sanding headlights (which I haven't had to do for a while). When the iBrid Nano came out, it was interesting, but not something I felt I needed. I was excited when Flex came out with the PXE-80, but disappointed it didn't have a trigger.

In the meantime, GG came out with their version of the "PiXiE", and it had a trigger, but it was $400, and since like Mike Phillips, I like to use my Flex 3401 and can use the edge of the pad to get into a lot of tighter spots, I haven't really felt the need for a mini polisher. Besides, I hardly do any polishing anymore, heck I hardly do any washing anymore, but life is life.

My newest car sat on the dealer lot for a long time, and I guess collected a bunch of tree debris under a piano black valence panel, which seems to wash out every time it rains or I wash the car. I guess at some point I used a too-aggressive (for piano black) brush trying to get debris out from between the valence panel and the paint, because last time I was washing the car I noticed a bunch of marring to the piano black in that area.

This was bugging me so I went back to look at the SPTA Cordless Mini Polisher I had looked at some time ago on Amazon. They had a $45 off coupon, and, well, I just couldn't resist for $115 for the whole kit. It comes with the polisher, charger, two batteries, a 3mm and 12mm DA eccentric, 4 backing plates (more on that later), and an assortment of foam, MF, and wool pads in 1", 2", and 3" sizes, some brushes, and a fitted carrying case (which doesn't have any room for the pads).

The eccentrics screw on, unlike what I've seen that some of the others have a quick release, and the 3mm eccentric has a smaller output thread than the 12mm, so the 1" backing plate can only be used for rotary or 3mm, there are (2) 2" backing plates, each with a different thread size, so you can use 2" pads for rotary, 3mm, or 12 mm, and the 3" backing plate can only be used in 12mm DA mode.

First impressions are...wow this thing is really heavy! The weight seems to be in the middle of the unit, between the trigger and the head, where the motor is. Hopefully that means it will have plenty of power. It seems smooth and quiet just running it with the backing plate and eccentric that was installed. In the pictures, the battery looked very similar to the Milwaukee 12V that I have for some other tools, but in reality it's quite different. The batteries are quite light and don't really do anything to balance out the weight from the motor.

Not sure when I'm actually going to get to try this out, but here's what it looks like (Amazon picture):

611gEuBlqkL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I purchased the SPTA mini, but corded. Very happy with it considering the price point. Foam pads are what you’d expect for the price and like having the 1” 2” and 3” options. I use it for tight places and especially polishing bare aluminum wheels.
IMG_5595.jpeg

I've had an early generation GG 3" polisher forever (I forget whether it's the first or second generation). This is an underwhelming machine, but I've found it useful for sanding headlights (which I haven't had to do for a while). When the iBrid Nano came out, it was interesting, but not something I felt I needed. I was excited when Flex came out with the PXE-80, but disappointed it didn't have a trigger.

In the meantime, GG came out with their version of the "PiXiE", and it had a trigger, but it was $400, and since like Mike Phillips, I like to use my Flex 3401 and can use the edge of the pad to get into a lot of tighter spots, I haven't really felt the need for a mini polisher. Besides, I hardly do any polishing anymore, heck I hardly do any washing anymore, but life is life.

My newest car sat on the dealer lot for a long time, and I guess collected a bunch of tree debris under a piano black valence panel, which seems to wash out every time it rains or I wash the car. I guess at some point I used a too-aggressive (for piano black) brush trying to get debris out from between the valence panel and the paint, because last time I was washing the car I noticed a bunch of marring to the piano black in that area.

This was bugging me so I went back to look at the SPTA Cordless Mini Polisher I had looked at some time ago on Amazon. They had a $45 off coupon, and, well, I just couldn't resist for $115 for the whole kit. It comes with the polisher, charger, two batteries, a 3mm and 12mm DA eccentric, 4 backing plates (more on that later), and an assortment of foam, MF, and wool pads in 1", 2", and 3" sizes, some brushes, and a fitted carrying case (which doesn't have any room for the pads).

The eccentrics screw on, unlike what I've seen that some of the others have a quick release, and the 3mm eccentric has a smaller output thread than the 12mm, so the 1" backing plate can only be used for rotary or 3mm, there are (2) 2" backing plates, each with a different thread size, so you can use 2" pads for rotary, 3mm, or 12 mm, and the 3" backing plate can only be used in 12mm DA mode.

First impressions are...wow this thing is really heavy! The weight seems to be in the middle of the unit, between the trigger and the head, where the motor is. Hopefully that means it will have plenty of power. It seems smooth and quiet just running it with the backing plate and eccentric that was installed. In the pictures, the battery looked very similar to the Milwaukee 12V that I have for some other tools, but in reality it's quite different. The batteries are quite light and don't really do anything to balance out the weight from the motor.

Not sure when I'm actually going to get to try this out, but here's what it looks like (Amazon picture):

611gEuBlqkL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
I had the earlier version in Hawaii

Once Jim White of White Details started using the Carbon Collective version he totally quit using his Ibrid

I was quite pleased with mine and would have bought another here in Alaska but I couldn't get anyone to ship it up here because of the Li-Ion batteries

IMG_1665.jpeg
IMG_1674.jpeg

They still make the version you had, Chilly, they call it Micro instead of Mini, it's a little bit more expensive. I prefer a trigger so I went with the Mini.

Thanks
I went back to look at the SPTA Cordless Mini Polisher I had looked at some time ago on Amazon.

Ah... I've been eyeing this tool too. I just ordered and received all the SPTA 1", 2" and 3" pad collections for my class next week. I was in dire need of a fresh supply of small foam and fiber pads.

Thanks for sharing Mike, I'll have to get this ordered. I really like the 1" and 2" pads for topical glass polishing in the corners of windows where you can't fit larger buffing pads. Plus, all the normal paint correction tasks.

Mike

As chance may have it I have an order of 1" SPTA pads on the way as well

Since Carzilla started charging me for shipping a few months back I haven't ordered anything from them and Parkscarcare won't ship to Alaska AT ALL and they are the only other Shinemate dealer I can find in North America so I am out of luck on Shinemate small pads

I think the SPTA pads are good quality and consistent, but the ones I have used are the tapered ones like in my pics above, not the flat cylindrical ones like are shown in the Amazon photo above

Lake Country makes 1" and 2" SDO pads that are tapered like that.
I know they do, so does Rupes

I just feel they are ridiculously expensive for what they are

I don't necessarily have to have tapered pads, it is just the only kind I have tried

Shinemate has 10 packs of flat pads for around $20 that I wanted to try and kept putting off and now I would have to be placing a $300-400 order with Carzilla to justify the $50 shipping

I need to contact Shinemate and explain my situation and see of they have any suggestions for getting their products

All 3 of my polishers are Shinemate, as well as a good number of my pads, and given the change in Carzilla's shipping policy I honestly am not sure I would go the Shinemate route again

Live and learn

So Chilly are the SPTA pads you have on order the tapered ones? Maybe I misunderstood, the reason I suggested the LC ones was I thought you couldn't find the tapered ones, and yes, the LC and Griot's are very expensive in comparison to the SPTA sets I now see on Amazon that are about $1 each for the 1" tapered, pads, with some MF and wool thrown in.

So Chilly are the SPTA pads you have on order the tapered ones? Maybe I misunderstood, the reason I suggested the LC ones was I thought you couldn't find the tapered ones, and yes, the LC and Griot's are very expensive in comparison to the SPTA sets I now see on Amazon that are about $1 each for the 1" tapered, pads, with some MF and wool thrown in.
Yes, I got the 1" SPTA tapered pad set sent from China for $10 shipped

It takes a few weeks but that's OK

I found out the other day that I could have gotten them from Amazon as well and next time I will just order from them

I actually tried to order a set of 2" pads from China as well but the order was direct from SPTA and they canceled the order saying they have no method to ship to Alaska

I haven't tried either the Shinemate or SPTA wool pads on paint but they are great for restoring headlights and glass, as Mike Phillips stated

The Shinemate white/blue microfiber pads can cut and finish well on paint

Thanks

Ah... I've been eyeing this tool too. I just ordered and received all the SPTA 1", 2" and 3" pad collections for my class next week. I was in dire need of a fresh supply of small foam and fiber pads.

Thanks for sharing Mike, I'll have to get this ordered. I really like the 1" and 2" pads for topical glass polishing in the corners of windows where you can't fit larger buffing pads. Plus, all the normal paint correction tasks.

Mike
I worry about the longevity of the rechargeable battery. For lack of better terms, when it comes to relatively cheap rotary polishers, I’d prefer corded.
Thoughts??

I worry about the longevity of the rechargeable battery. For lack of better terms, when it comes to relatively cheap rotary polishers, I’d prefer corded.
Thoughts??
The one thing that the ibrid had that these other battery operated machines are missing is an AC adapter so you can run corded if you need to

The Shinemate is not a "cheap" machine by any means, either in quality or price

The SPTA battery machines are good quality machines as well and I am sure the battery technology is up to the task

Using your analogy we would still be using corded drills, drivers, etc

The one thing that the ibrid had that these other battery operated machines are missing is an AC adapter so you can run corded if you need to

Using your analogy we would still be using corded drills, drivers, etc
I agree, although I will say that some of my Ryobi batteries with the status lights, don't seem to charge up all the way anymore--I haven't figured out if they really don't have the same capacity or if it's just some malfunction in the lights...I will admit to in the "off season" not using the tools much and leaving a battery in the charger for maybe 6 months, although it's a smart charger that goes to trickle so theoretically no harm, no foul.

I agree, although I will say that some of my Ryobi batteries with the status lights, don't seem to charge up all the way anymore--I haven't figured out if they really don't have the same capacity or if it's just some malfunction in the lights...I will admit to in the "off season" not using the tools much and leaving a battery in the charger for maybe 6 months, although it's a smart charger that goes to trickle so theoretically no harm, no foul.
I posted on AG how I noticed my EGO blower batteries blinking occasionally when not in use and off the machine, and how the customer service guy explained that is the battery "exercising" itself while stored to keep from losing its chops over time

If true then that is pretty smart technology

Thoughts??

I was given the prototype FLEX PE-150 Rotary Polisher by Bob Eichelberg at SEMA and I'm still using it today. I have 39 - 5 Amp batteries and 12 of the smaller, PXE-80 batteries as of today. Since 2017, I've only had a few batteries die on me. All the rest have been torture-tested for years.

full

Ever since getting the prototype, unless I am polishing glass, I always use this cordless rotary. I should have written down how many cars and boats I've detailed with it but alas - never did and too hard to remember all these projects.

For my classes, everyone grabs a cordless. No one grabs a corded rotary. This is both for cars and boats. With the boats, however, keep in mind we start sanding at 1000 grit and usually finish out at 2500 or higher and this is why we can use a cordless rotary for our boat classes.

I quit teaching how to use a rotary to remove deep oxidation and dock rash back in 2013. I teach sanding instead of pushing HARD with a rotary for hours or days. That's the caveman approach.

Just me though...

Mike

I was given the prototype FLEX PE-150 Rotary Polisher by Bob Eichelberg at SEMA and I'm still using it today. I have 39 - 5 Amp batteries and 12 of the smaller, PXE-80 batteries as of today. Since 2017, I've only had a few batteries die on me. All the rest have been torture-tested for years.

full

Ever since getting the prototype, unless I am polishing glass, I always use this cordless rotary. I should have written down how many cars and boats I've detailed with it but alas - never did and too hard to remember all these projects.

For my classes, everyone grabs a cordless. No one grabs a corded rotary. This is both for cars and boats. With the boats, however, keep in mind we start sanding at 1000 grit and usually finish out at 2500 or higher and this is why we can use a cordless rotary for our boat classes.

I quit teaching how to use a rotary to remove deep oxidation and dock rash back in 2013. I teach sanding instead of pushing HARD with a rotary for hours or days. That's the caveman approach.

Just me though...

Mike
Understood, I do not consider the Flex a cheap rotary. Comment was pointed more to the SPTA brand specifically. Likewise, I could compare it to a cellphone when you get the phone new, the battery lasts 3 days and 2 years later it lasts 3 hours.

And for what it's worth,

Besides the 24' Sea Hunt Center Console for this upcoming Sunday's Extreme Boat Detailing Class, I have 3 cars in the garage my class will be sanding and then cutting using the cordless FLEX rotary polishers. I have all the batteries charged, backing plates and wool pads ready to go. Plus, spurs.

Going to be a great class.

This came in Saturday to replace the 1970 VW Shorty Micro Buss (VW has a date with a carburetor)

full

We will start by wet sanding the paint followed by machine dry sanding.

full

full

The blue 1949 Fleetline will be used to teach wet sanding by hand. The white 1972 Corvette will be used to teach the 3M Trizact Damp Sanding System.

full

And there's 6 other cars for this single, 3-day class. Going to be busy.

Mike

Back