Stop waterless wash spray going on other panels

Strive

Reaction score
Sometimes when I waterless wash where two panels meet or on thin panels (like between the windows and roof) the waterless wash goes on the panel I am not cleaning.
  • (this is only a problem if I'm not planning on cleaning that panel later)

Any tips on how to apply waterless wash better? (or any spray product)

So far I've come up with this:
  • Put microfiber next to where I am spraying. Then Spray from really close and "pick up" the product with the microfiber or...
  • Drench the microfiber with product instead of spraying the panel
But I suspect both of these do not lubricate between the towel and paint enough, and they also don't give the waterless wash a chance to sit and "lift" the dirt

Maybe a I need a weaker sprayer 🤷‍♂️

Here is a picture from this site where I put an arrow. When spraying this kind of spot sometimes i get product on the roof or window
1633457373531.png

Last edited:
Good luck.

I do the saturated microfiber method (your #2 option). This method is especially helpful on my motorcycles.
- For cars/trucks I just start at the top and work my way down. Spray + wipe with saturated towel then dry and buff. But note that anytime you employ the spray you will have to extend your final wipe to the adjacent panels.
- For my bikes its just the saturated towel - no spray.

I also remove all the loose dust with a California Car Duster before wiping with anything else.

Instead of a weaker sprayer - how about a spray head that does a really good job of atomizing the liquid?

Me?

I would dip a clean microfiber towel in clean water, then spray the towel with my waterless wash - then wipe the panel.

You could even lay some damp folded microfiber towels onto this section of paint and let time go by - water and waterless wash will do it's thing and soften the dirt.

Then wipe.

:)

You can use a clean towel saturated with waterless wash as a shield while saturating your desired pannel with your chosen product. Also you can learn to utilize hand techniques to controll your sprayer. You could squeeze a little spray closer to the edges, and a big spray in the larger areas. Well, those are my ideas anyways.. Some times you may think the tool you have isn't adequate for the job, but the ultimate tool is you! Hope this helps in some way.

I also enjoyed the other tips as well! Best of luck!

I usually wash 1/3 or 1/2 into the next panel; dry the panel I'm on; finish washing the next panel (again going 1/3+ beyond). This keeps a wet edge and leaves a buffer zone to prevent rework. I also always work with a blower. So, if water gets on a dirty panel I don't want to clean yet, I blow the drops through the dirt towards the ground (Like 80 percent. No need for perfection. Just enough to avoid water spots.)

Okay, I should have read your post a little closer.

If I was not going to clean a panel. But. was going to clean up to it. And, I was going to spray the panel to be cleaned. I would start with a sprayer that has reasonably consistent spray pattern (I would use a Solo sprayer). Start spraying the panel in the center and work outwards, keeping the spray head angled to the center of the panel.

Work with a wet wash towel and you don't have to saturate all the way to the edge.

That place where you put the arrow to. I wouldn't try to spray it. Just gently drag a wet towel of waterless wash along it.

But, if you feel the need to spray. You could take a method from building painters and make a paint guard. Say, take a piece of cardboard about 10" x 24" and wrap a piece of felt or microfiber around one of the edges (2-sided carpet tape, light layer of glue, ?). Rub some car wax or sealant on the cardboard to keep it from getting soggy. You should be good to go.

Last edited:
Okay, I should have read your post a little closer.

If I was not going to clean a panel. But. was going to clean up to it. And, I was going to spray the panel to be cleaned. I would start with a sprayer that has reasonably consistent spray pattern (I would use a Solo sprayer). Start spraying the panel in the center and work outwards, keeping the spray head angled to the center of the panel.

Work with a wet wash towel and you don't have to saturate all the way to the edge.

That place where you put the arrow to. I wouldn't try to spray it. Just gently drag a wet towel of waterless wash along it.

But, if you feel the need to spray. You could take a method from building painters and make a paint guard. Say, take a piece of cardboard about 10" x 24" and wrap a piece of felt or microfiber around one of the edges (2-sided carpet tape, light layer of glue, ?). Rub some car wax or sealant on the cardboard to keep it from getting soggy. You should be good to go.
A lot of good advice here. Thank you very much!

Back