Stretching - Wiping down door hood trunk and hatchback jambs

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
Stretching - Wiping down door hood trunk and hatchback jambs

When do you wipe down all the jambs? Me? After washing and drying the car, next I use either my already wet drying towels or fresh microfiber towels and wipe-down and blow-out all the door, hood, trunk, and hatchback jambs.

2019 Corvette Stingray - Stretching

full

full

Clean and protect at the same time

There's usually enough residual water around all these areas to use along with a spray detailer or a product like Dr. Beasley's Bead Hero to get these areas clean before starting the paint correction step. I also use the EGO Leaf Blower to blow out all the jambs as well as all the other tight or intricate areas like emblems, gas fuel doors, door handles, rear view mirrors, tail lights, etc.

full

Bead Hero – Easy to use ceramic coating with fast application

Dr. Beasley’s Bead Hero is a spray-on, wipe-off, incredibly fast to use ceramic coating. After wiping any of the painted portions of the door jambs and engine compartment clean and dry, it only takes a few more seconds to ceramic coat and protect these areas. Doing this will help to keep these areas cleaner longer plus make any future cleaning, washing and/or drying faster and easier. Plus it adds gloss and shine to the paint or any other smooth surface. This is a 1-year ceramic coating that is actually intended for use on the outside of the car, but it’s great for other areas too.

full

I know some people like to actually WASH these areas as they are washing the car, and this works well for any car that has super dirty jambs or greasy jambs around the door hinges, but I don't like getting any excess water inside the car if I don't have to especially since most cars have carpet in them.

Finishing steps

Cleaning, shining and protecting the paint, door sills and other smooth surface in all the jambs is just one of the many topics we cover in our detailing classes. These often overlooked areas are important to address as a part of any professional detail work. Addressing these areas is called the Finishing Steps, it’s the little things that add-up to make a big impact for the overall final results. Plus your customer’s will notice and be both happy and thankful they chose you over your competition.

Hands-on detailing classes with yours truly and Dr. Beasley!

Our detailing classes are 100% hands-on with no chairs, no PowerPoint and no sitting! Our car and boat classes typically cover advanced paint correction topics like multi-step corrections, how to use rotary polishers and wet sanding. Many of my past students have gone on to start successful detailing businesses — this is the perfect place to get your start as a pro!

What are you working on?

Besides detailing cars professionally, teaching classes on both car and boat detailing and writing articles and making videos sharing tips and techniques on these topics, I also love answering questions and helping others to success for their projects in their shop or garage. If you have any car or boat detailing questions, as well as glass polishing questions, feel free to reach out and I’ll do my best to help.

Question?

So how and when do you clean the jambs?

Mike
760-515-0444
Mike@drbeasleys.com

Last edited:
Almost the exact same way i.e. after the exterior wash and dry and using the damp drying towel. That is on my cars...

Client cars, even regular customers who come often and not too bad, get an ONR spray and wipe down with MF towels. They arrive dirtier than my cars. ONR in a spray bottle limits overspray to just the jambs.

Last edited:
Mike,

My process is very similar to yours and depending how dirty the jams are. I may use a rinseless wash such as ONR or if I miscounted the number of microfiber towels I use for a bucket wash and added one too many, I'll use that last mf towel and wipe them down. I do use a Ego Blower after towel drying the car to hit the little crevasses and tail lights, then go back with the towel and wipe up the excess water.

I am looking for a new drying aid and have kept my eye on Bead Hero, getting close to restocking a lot of wash supplies but had to get our daughter back to school earlier this month...that wasn't cheap...she took moms QX30 and left mom the X3!

JF

Back