Types of Convertable Tops and Their Proper Names With Descriptions?

Jacob Harrod AutoClean

Reaction score
Hey guys, I Wanted to create a thread for people to share all of the types of convertible tops there are, as well as recommended products and the proper names for these types of surfaces, so that way people can find this in the future and properly care for these types of surfaces. Thank you so much for any input and advice you may have. You could also share uncommon problems and solutions to these problems you've found with convertible tops.

Phaeton Manual 2 person top Typically Canvas

full

The two main materials used are,

Vinyl
Canvas cloth

Then there are the abnormal surface materials or coatings - I'm not sure which?

Jeep Hardtops

:)
Jeep hard tops are tricky. I believe I once tried to clay a Jeep hard top, but then realized quickly that it shouldn't be done.

Especially when it comes to detailing, you only have to learn the lesson once the hard way.

Can you coat them with CQuartz DLux?

'Especially when it comes to detailing, you only have to learn the lesson once the hard way."

Until you start getting older & the "Sometimer's" Kicks in.

When Using "car Pro RELOAD on my 1993 Buick Riviera. I slobbered a little on the Vinyl landau top . So I figured what the **** & wiped the rest of it. It stays on very well .Added a bit of Sheen & beads water off nicely.

I always experiment on my own stuff. 1st.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recommendations to get this top cleaned up? Car is a 1938 Chrysler CT.

Attachments

• 20211030_102325 (1).jpg
    20211030_102325 (1).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211030_102428.jpg
    20211030_102428.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
My guess is these stains are now part of the fabric - as in I don't know if they can be removed.

That said, you don't know what you can do until you try.

If it were me? I'd probably do some searching for stain removers used for normal clothes laundry. I've never had much luck with all the different "oxy" cleaners and stain removers but it might be worth a try.

I know "Shout" is a popular product for removing stains.

Possibly using a product in conjunction with a steam cleaner?

Any recommendations to get this top cleaned up? Car is a 1938 Chrysler CT.
Try Ammo Shag in conjunction with steam as Mike suggested.

One other product I just thought of is the Meguiar's fiber rinse and tannin stain remover. You could always try a test spot at either full strength or 1:1.

I'd try a test spot with both products to see what works best and you could dial in your process from there.

Also I was thinking you could use a waffle weave drying towel placed over the area after treating and then run your hands across the towel to try to wick the stain out.

You could use the Ragg Topp brush to agitate the cleaner.

Also try utilizing the Tornador with distilled water to flush out the cleaner, and then you could blot dry In the same method mentioned before since I'm sure it's not a car you could do a normal wash on.

I've had really good success getting stains out of headliners with the tornador, so it may have the same effect on your convertible top.

Are you planning on adding a protectant to the top?

Like Mike said, I would give Shout a try. I've had good luck using Shout Advanced as a precleaner followed by a mild drenching and brushing of regular shout 15-30 minutes later (but, before the precleaner dries.)

I've also had luck removing stains on microfiber by adding d-limonene to a cleaner appropriate for the stain. I don't know if this would translate to your top though. Just putting it out there as something to look into. I've read some carpet guy posts where they regularly add d-limonene to there precleaners. Most carpets are synthetics though. So, that might make a difference.

Thank you for all the suggestions. It will be a several weeks before I get to work on the car, the owner has 5 antique cars he needs me to detail. This top is one of my biggest concerns. I will post updates when the work starts.

One company has a long history providing convertible top and tonneau cover material to automotive manufacturers.

The Haartz company provides this resource to help automotive restorers a owners in determining the original materials, or potential replacement materials.

One company has a long history providing convertible top and tonneau cover material to automotive manufacturers.

The Haartz company provides this resource to help automotive restorers a owners in determining the original materials, or potential replacement materials.

Wow! Thank you!!!

@Mike Phillips Speaking of materials, including vinyl for tops and tonneau covers, how did the long time tests go with the CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating on PJ's truck? Any thoughts on longevity and reapplication?

Back