Usefulness of foaming a car

JohnT

Reaction score
I m confused about the usefulness of foaming a car. If I’m just going to turn around after foaming and go through my regular washing progress, why spend the time foaming. But if I could foam, rinse and blow dry with my leaf blower, that would save time.
My car has ppf on entire hood, front, and front fenders, and a good ceramic coating. The car is always garaged when not in use. With winter coming its going to be harder to get a warm enough day to hand wash. I have used touchless wash’s, but my ppf installer does not recommend.
If this would be useful, would a battery powered washer ( Ryobi 40v) have enough power?
I don t believe I have read anything lately by Mike on this subject.
Thanks every one for your time!

The major benefit to foaming a car, at least in theory, are,

• Foam clings better than watery suds or bubbles so the theory is the cleaning agents in the foam have a longer dwell time to dissolve, loosen and/or emulsify dirt and road grime making it faster, easier and safer to remove.
  • Foam provides more lubrication making the washing action of moving some type of wash media, i.e. a wash mitt less abrasive as it's moved over the surface to loosen accumulated dirt.

I rarely use a foam gun or foam cannon to wash a car simply because it's faster to just use the one-bucket method, either with a single wash mitt or with multiple microfiber towels. Depends on if I'm doing a Prep Wash or a Maintenance Wash.

I am hoping to get the new cordless FLEX Pressure Washer for the new Dr. Beasley's shop, we used it at the Wisconsin class a few weeks ago and I was impressed. You can see pictures here,

Photos from Future of Detailing: Advanced Paint Correction Clinic — September 2023 @ Lake Country Manufacturing

Mike

What Mike said about foam is true. Using it has got to be the safest way to wash but for me personally, washing via foam gun is not about speed. I'm not interested in speed when I wash, I'm interested in safely getting the car clean. To me, it doesn't matter how long it may take Mind you though, I'm not washing other people's cars for pay. I'm washing for pleasure. Something to do leisurely on a Saturday morning.

I love my foam gun washes and let that clingy foam dwell a bit before LIGHTLY using my wash mitt. The key is very light pressure for my mitt.

I work on a wide variety of vehicles from farm equipment to 40 foot boats. A foam cannon is a lifesaver paired with the right soap. The foam loosens the grim allowing it to be lifted of the paint easier, and as Mike mentioned the foam helps with additional lubrication.

Back