Video: Random Orbital Polisher Tips from Mike Phillips

Excellent video.

I had a Flex 3401C and later a Rupes 15 and found that for what I did I wanted finishing ease (never did severe correction since more home enthusiast) the Rupes worked best for me. My first DA was the UItimate Detail Machine 1.0!!!

If you listened to some people on detailing, you would think that no one got show car results years ago as everyone chases the latest products with labels like game changers. As you said, it is the shine at the end so the end game has not changed,

Excellent video.

I had a Flex 3401C and later a Rupes 15 and found that for what I did I wanted finishing ease (never did severe correction since more home enthusiast) the Rupes worked best for me.

Thank you for sharing.

Some people think I'm a FLEX guy. What I am is a,

Right tool for the job guy.
Right tool for me guy.

I prefer rotary and gear-driven orbital for the majority of my work as I find them to be faster for defect removal and the overall time it takes to go from start to finish.

I've been teaching people how to detail cars professionall since 1987 and I LOVE to show people their different options, explain how they work, the upside and the downside, and then let THEM decide which type or types of tools are best for THEIR style of detailing.

Me? I'm in a hurry. I want to plow through a car as fast as humanly possible while turning out pro-quality results.

For others however, including yourself, your style of detailing is a preference for ease-of-use, my guess is also "smoother" felt operation to your hands and arms.

And like a lot of enthusiasts, you're primarily working on your own cars, in most cases they are well-taken care of and enjoying the process is more important than speed.

There's something or more specifically, a tool option for everyone. :)

And the really good news is there are now more options for tool types and price points than EVER in car detailing history. That's win/win for all of us.

My first DA was the UItimate Detail Machine 1.0!!!

I remember this tool, the guy that started Autopia decided to try to get into tool manufacturing and while the idea may have been good on paper, in execution, it failed.

For those that don't know, the Ultimate Detail Machine 1.0 was a knock-off of the Porter Cable 7424XP - an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

Meguiar's and Griot's both went down this road with the Meguiar's G100 and the Griot's Garage 6" DA. Both of these tools were also knock-offs of the Porter Cable 7424XP - or 8mm free spinning random orbital polishers.

Myself and a lot of people found the Griot's Garage or GG6, as it was referred to by the detailing masses to actually be a better and more powerful version of the Porter Cable and I believe I still have one or two of these machines.

In the REALLY big picture, MILLIONS of cars have been de-swirled and polished to gleam like gemstones with these early DA Polishers.

And of course nowadays, there are so many newer and more reliable options on the market including tools from RUPES, Griot's, Millwalkie, DeWalt, Dynabrade and FLEX just to mentions a few.

If you listened to some people on detailing, you would think that no one got show car results years ago as everyone chases the latest products with labels like game changers. As you said, it is the shine at the end so the end game has not changed,

Exactly.

When people ask me,

If you could pick only 1 tool, what would it be?

I don't answer very well because what I say is that hypothetical world doesn't exist.

But if I could only pick 3 tools, they would be,

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher - The fastest way to remove any type of paint defect.

The FLEX XC 3401 VRG - The most powerful and reliable 8mm gear-driven orbital polisher.

The Porter Cable 7424XP - A time proven, SHORT STROKE, free spinning random orbital polisher. With this tool I can finish out perfect on super soft paints. I can machine apply waxes and sealants and if no other option is available, I can machine sand cars and boats.

Thank you for commenting, Bunky, apologies for my late reply, working on multiple projects all with hot deadlines. :)

Mike

Back