Your profit and our diddly squat

Mike Phillips

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
themikephillipsforum.com
Your profit and our diddly squat

Here's an article I've been meaning to write for a few years and today is the day.

Most people think the word profit means the extra money you make after you cover the initial investment, and this is true. There's another type of profit.

Your Profit - The help or customer service you get
When you're doing research to figure out how to do something, when you find a source that has this information and it accomplishes your goal, that is it HELPS you to do the thing you wanted to do. For example, detail your car to remove the swirls and perfect the paint. (just one example but an example I've helped my guess is tens of thousands of people to successfully accomplish), the help you received was your profit. You accomplished your goal from the helpful, accurate information you learned from the source.

You avoided,
  • Wasting time.
  • Wasting energy.
  • Wasting money.
  • As well as avoiding mistakes.
  • And if you're detailing for money - you're making money or a profit.

Our profit
After getting your profit, (the help that enabled you to accomplish your goals), and then you reciprocate the help you received by purchasing from the company that provided you with your profit, (the help you received), that's our profit - the sale.

Diddly Squat
When go to some other company, a company that did NOT provide you with the help, and then you make your purchase there - they just got our profit. They didn't lift a finger to help you with the information you needed to accomplish your goal, but they make money anyways. The company that provided the help or customer service gets diddly squat.

I get emails from people all the time asking me for help to detail their car, boat, airplane, motorcycle, RV, etc. I freely spend AutoForge.nets time answering their questions IN DETAIL, as is my style. Next these people use words to say thank you and go onto make their purchase at some place Amazon. Companies like Amazon get the reward from our hard work and our company gets diddly squat. If you were in business and you hired a guy like Mike Phillips to share over 30 years of experience on how to successfully detail cars and the people that get the help never reciprocate the help by doing business with the source of their help, (your profit), well you might think... this isn't fair.

The restaurant tipping analogy
My wife and I are creatures of habit. When we find a restaurant we like, we tend to make this a favorite place to eat and have fun. If we get good or great customer service, we tip really well. We notice when we go back, we get 5-star treatment. And we continue to tip really well. We appreciate the customer service and show our appreciation via the tip.

Getting customer service from someone like me online in the way of factual, helpful how-to information is customer service. The analogy would be, if we were to leave the restaurant, we just ate out without tipping our waiter or waitress but then we stop off at another restaurant and give the tip to a person that had nothing to do with providing customer service where we just ate. It's the same idea.

Tool Sales

One of the things I’ve learned about TOOLS is there’s very little profit from a resellers point of view. I know most of you, when you look at the price of any tool, it can seem like there’s a lot of profit selling tools. But there’s not. It’s only profitable when you make huge volumes of sales. For example, I helped another online detailing supply company to do a million dollars in FLEX tool sales alone. On a scale like this, yes there's profit. But it's based on the sale of thousands of tools, not one or two here and there.

Also, most of your pro grade brands for tools make all their resellers stick to MAP pricing.

MAP stands for Minimum Advertised Price.

This means that whatever the minimum price is set BY THE MANUFACTURER - this is the price everyone selling the tool has to stick too according to their agreement. If a company is caught selling MAP pricing tools for LESS than MAP pricing – the manufacturer will STOP selling their tools to this reseller. And surprisingly, our industry is pretty good at self-policing. This means, if Company A finds Company B selling a brand of tools for less than MAP pricing, Company A will REPORT Company B to the manufacturer and the company selling tools for less than MAP pricing will either stop selling tools under MAP pricing or lose their account.

Perception versus Reality
When you do see a sale on tools – it’s always when the tool is bundled in a KIT. This is how a company can make it appear like you’re getting a good deal on the tool when the reality is they are taking a loss on the other products bundled in the kit that they, (the company selling the kit), have higher profit margins on.

Me?
I tell people to purchase their tools and products from where they get their customer service or help from. For example, if I share information in an article or video that shows a person ow to do a thing, (remove swirls, polish glass etc.), and then that person goes to some other company and purchases everything I shared with them – this person gets their profit (profit is the help), and the other company gets our profit – and the company that I work for that pays me to create the content gets diddly squat.

Everyone can figure out how they want to do business, that's your decision. I wrote the above to bring some perspective because I meet so many people that are simply price shoppers when they buy detailing products but in the real world, they're like my wife Stacy and I, that is, when you find a restaurant you really like and enjoy the food and the SERVICE - you tip well. And you see the benefit when you return - more great customer service.

I never hold back on customer service no matter where a person buys their products or no matter what brand of products they are using - I help everyone and that's not going to change. But I did want to share the above because to be honest, I don't think most people think of the above, they just price shop.

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind -John Cougar Melloncamp

From the Scarecrow album, the song is Minutes to Memories

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a Greyhound thirty miles beyond Jamestown
He saw the sun set on the Tennessee line
He looked at the young man who was riding beside him
He said I'm old kind of worn out inside
I worked my whole life in the steel mills of Gary
And my father before me I helped build this land
Now I'm seventy-seven and with God as my witness
I earned every dollar that passed through my hands
My family and friends are the best thing I've known
Through the eye of the needle I'll carry them home

Days turn to minutes
And minutes to memories
Life sweeps away the dreams
That we have planned
You are young and you are the future
So suck it up and tough it out
And be the best you can

The rain hit the old dog in the twilight's last gleaming
He said "son it sounds like rattling old bones"
This highway is long but I know some that are longer
By sunup tomorrow I guess I'll be home
Through the hills of Kentucky 'cross the Ohio river
The old man kept talking 'bout his life and his times
He fell asleep with his head against the window
He said an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind
This world offers riches and riches will grow wings
I don't take stock in those uncertain things

Days turn to minutes
And minutes to memories
That we have planned
And be the best you can

The old man had a vision but it was hard for me to follow
I do things my way and I pay a high price
When I think back on the old man and the bus ride
Now that I'm older I can see he was right

Another hot one out on highway eleven
This is my life It's what I've chosen to do
There are no free rides, no one said it'd be easy
The old man told me this my son I'm telling it to you

Days turn to minutes
And minutes to memories
That we have planned
And be the best you can

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on topic...

I'm all for helping others, been doing it for decades, but it's only natural to want others to reciprocate. I'm here to help but I'm also here to make AutoForge a profit - not some other company that simply skims away the profits without ever doing the work.

When was the last time you had a great meal at a restaurant with great service from your waitress or waiter and then left without tipping - BUT stopped off at a different restaurant and gave a stranger the tip that should have been given to the nice person at the place you actually ate at?

Tips always appreciated! In this context - tips means your business at AutoForge.net

Mike Phillips

Last edited:
Here's a recent example...

Person calls me, thanks me for sharing with them 10 years ago how to use a Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher to remove the swirls and create a show car finish on their custom truck.

Fast forward to a few days ago...

Person calls me, lets me know they've outgrown the Porter Cable polisher, let me know they are ready to move up to a more powerful tool so they can knock client's cars out faster and thus make a higher profit margin on their time and labor. Proceeds to ask me about all the different tools on the market. I'm HAPPY to help them.

• I explain free spinning random orbital polishers.
  • I explain short stroke versus long stroke polishers.
  • I explain cheap tools versus quality-built tools.
  • I explain gear-driven orbital polishers.
  • I explain cordless battery operated polishers.

Person thanks me and hangs up. A few days later, the same person calls me up, lets me know they found the best price on the FLEX BEAST at a store in Texas but the DISCOUNT only applies to walk-in customers. This person doesn't live in Texas. LOL

My question?

Even if you did live in Texas and did live within a reasonable driving distance to the discounted price store... what did the person at this store do to help you decide on the SECOND tool purchase you want to make?

The answer - nothing.

He at at a fine restaurant, received 5-Star sevice then drove down the road and gave his tip to someone else.

Just one example.

The above story and the above article were written because I know a lot of people think and act like me, that is they shop where they get great sevice. But I also know, some people, they simple don't think in these terms. They love to get their profit though...

-Mike Phillips

If someone spends quality time with me in person or on the phone and provides great value, I will buy that product from them, even if it is a bit more expensive. Occasionally I'll be at Home Depot and I see a worker there spend a bunch of time with someone and opens a bag of hardware to demonstrate something, and then the customer won't take the open package but demands a new package. Same concept.

Mike, I remember years ago when you spent a bunch of time on the AGO forum explaining the " electrified sheepskin" pad for the flex 3401. You were patient and responded so thoroughly to everyone's' questions I didn't even think of shopping for it elsewhere based on the value you provided.

I still have that pad and am thankful for you educating me on it!

If someone spends quality time with me in person or on the phone and provides great value, I will buy that product from them, even if it is a bit more expensive. Occasionally I'll be at Home Depot and I see a worker there spend a bunch of time with someone and opens a bag of hardware to demonstrate something, and then the customer won't take the open package but demands a new package. Same concept.

Mike, I remember years ago when you spent a bunch of time on the AGO forum explaining the " electrified sheepskin" pad for the flex 3401. You were patient and responded so thoroughly to everyone's' questions I didn't even think of shopping for it elsewhere based on the value you provided.

I still have that pad and am thankful for you educating me on it!

Wow!

Great example and great story. Thanks for sharing.

-Mike Phillips

I started detailing in 2008 at the age of 60. I just wanted to keep my car looking better than when it came off of the show room floor. and through you and others at Meguiar's and people on their forum I have learned the basics of paint correction how to maintain that correction. Since I have been loyal to Meguiar's because of the info and help they have given me, it is hard to switch to another product. When you went to the "Geek" it was no big deal I could still buy Meguiar's, but now you don't handle Meguiar's so I don't support you who has helped me indirectly or not support Meguiar's.
I have never had a problem with any of their products and I have detailed colors from black to white and everything in between and makes from Ford to Bentley and everything in between. I have detailed for family, friends and neighbors mostly for the enjoyment although they did pay me something. It is nice to say I have detailed Bentleys, Porsches, Nissan Zs, Audis, Mercedes, BMWs and Jaguars.
I am slowly switching over to McKees but it is hard.

David Smith

I started detailing in 2008 at the age of 60. I just wanted to keep my car looking better than when it came off of the show room floor. and through you and others at Meguiar's and people on their forum I have learned the basics of paint correction how to maintain that correction. Since I have been loyal to Meguiar's because of the info and help they have given me, it is hard to switch to another product. When you went to the "Geek" it was no big deal I could still buy Meguiar's, but now you don't handle Meguiar's so I don't support you who has helped me indirectly or not support Meguiar's.
I have never had a problem with any of their products and I have detailed colors from black to white and everything in between and makes from Ford to Bentley and everything in between. I have detailed for family, friends and neighbors mostly for the enjoyment although they did pay me something. It is nice to say I have detailed Bentleys, Porsches, Nissan Zs, Audis, Mercedes, BMWs and Jaguars.

Thank you for your support and thank you for sharing. :)

I am slowly switching over to McKees but it is hard.

David Smith

Technically, I am the AutoForge Guy and at AutoForge, we carry multiple brands and we're bringing more brands as we move forward. At this time we don't carry Meguiar's, part of the reason why is because it's available at Walmart and even grocery stores. So there's really no exclusivity to it. But it's possible we may bring in the Megs line in the future.

Stay tuned, I'll be creating a MONSTER THREAD showing all the pictures from this weekends big 3-day class and it will showcase a LOT of different brands that this class was able to use.

-Mike

Back