Big announcement today! Now the CEO of Dr. Beasley's!

Congrats Sir!!!! I guess it's time to start looking at Beasley's, I still havent done anything to the wife's QX30!!

JF

As usual i'm late to this party but heartfelt congratulations to you, Mike. You said you feel energized about this one and i'm genuinely happy for you.

I also enjoy the fact your staying right here in FL.

Congrats Sir!!!! I guess it's time to start looking at Beasley's, I still havent done anything to the wife's QX30!!

JF

We love our QX30, fun little SUV. As soon as we get into the new shop, I've already been given my marching orders to do a full interior and exterior detail.

Ours has the light beige interior, looks like white to me. What color is the interior of yours?

As usual i'm late to this party but heartfelt congratulations to you, Mike. You said you feel energized about this one and i'm genuinely happy for you.

Thanks Paul. I was energized when I went to 3D too, it's not my fault the owner sold the company to a Private Equity Group and that just wasn't going to work out for me personally and of course, I wish everyone that stayed the best of luck.

I've worked at 3 companies that were bought-out and each time it was worse for the employees and this time... wasn't sticking around for changes taking place.

This is why in the short video I made, I listed three things I like about Dr. Beasley's besides the chemistry/products.

1: Family owned - owner has no plans to sell to a private equity group or any group.

2: Small business - I've worked for both large companies, (Hewlett-Packard), and small companies and I MUCH prefer small family owned companies.

3: A true manufacture. I MUCH prefer to work with the makers. Jim Lafeber is one hell of a chemist and since joining his team, behind the scenes I've already helped with the R&D for a brand new product coming out and besides the fact that the product is the best of its kind that I've used - more rewarding is the ability to work side-by-side with the chemist and have fun doing it.

I also enjoy the fact your staying right here in FL.

Me too. No state income tax, sunshine year around. Plus the new shop is about 5-6 miles down the road. Traffic makes it about a 20 minute drive, but that's a lot better than when I worked at Meguiar's and lived in Apple Valley and drove to Irvine.

As I type it's Saturday, July 15th - I'm driving to give a recommendation on how to best remove the scratches out of the windshield on an all original 1966 AC Cobra. Current owner has seen my work plus my glass polishing videos and articles and will not remove the original glass so they want to see if it can be fixed. Pretty cool gig if you can get it.

We get the keys to the new shop on August 1st and then of course have a lot of work to get it up and going, but hard work has never let slowed me down and moving forward I'm going to be detailing more cool cars than ever, (walking the talk), teaching more classes than ever and creating more content than ever. And I love competition - game on.

-Mike

Last edited:
Congradulations mike! Hope it all works out for ya. Most of my skills that i have now are because of you. Never took a class in person. Just all your articles/videos you done over the years. Articles from years back are still helping folks today. So thankyou.

Have never tried Dr beasleys products, and im running low on 3d 502...so guess ill be trying out some new polishes from dr beasleys!

On that note, what polish from them would i be looking at? To replace 3d 502/520?or atleast for coating jobs. I will probly keep some 3d for fresh paint work correction. Thanks in advance mike.

Last edited:
Congrats Mike and welcome to the neighborhood! I hope everything ended amicably with the team at McKee's and Autoforge. Make sure you stop by Pequod's Pizza down the street while you're up at the Chicago facility :)

Thanks Paul. I was energized when I went to 3D too, it's not my fault the owner sold the company to a Private Equity Group and that just wasn't going to work out for me personally and of course, I wish everyone that stayed the best of luck.

I've worked at 3 companies that were bought-out and each time it was worse for the employees and this time... wasn't sticking around for changes taking place.

This is why in the short video I made, I listed three things I like about Dr. Beasley's besides the chemistry/products.

1: Family owned - owner has no plans to sell to a private equity group or any group.

2: Small business - I've worked for both large companies, (Hewlett-Packard), and small companies and I MUCH prefer small family owned companies.

3: A true manufacture. I MUCH prefer to work with the makers. Jim Lafeber is one hell of a chemist and since joining his team, behind the scenes I've already helped with the R&D for a brand new product coming out and besides the fact that the product is the best of its kind that I've used - more rewarding is the ability to work side-by-side with the chemist and have fun doing it.

I understand what it's like to work with PE's; I work in acquisitions. A lot of the nuance of your approach would get lost in the focus on ROI, engagement and operating costs. In my opinion overall what you do and the educational content you create has Staying Power; I can still read an article you posted on the 'geek from 10 years ago and learn something. Can't say that for the 100th video of a foam cannon blasting to electronic music. Not that that's bad, you just need some balance if you want to make positive impact on the industry IMO.

I hope you still think 3D makes good products; I'd gotten familiar with them and converted a lot of my arsenal over while you were there (especially love my lazy man's combo of 3D Speed maintained with Bead it Up).

Definitely benefits to working with a manufacturer. If I recall, Beasley's is one of the few that tried to make some Sheeting protective products. Maybe together you can finally educate everyone about Type I, Type II and Type III Water Spots :)

If Beasley's ever does an open house I would love to make the short trek up there. Hope you have great success with this new partnership.

Congradulations mike! Hope it all works out for ya. Most of my skills that i have now are because of you. Never took a class in person. Just all your articles/videos you done over the years. Articles from years back are still helping folks today. So thankyou.

Thanks for sharing that, means a lot to me to know I've helped. Too bad the geek disappeared all my how-to articles. I thought they were all about education.

Have never tried Dr beasleys products, and im running low on 3d 502...so guess ill be trying out some new polishes from dr beasleys!

I posted a few short videos recently on my social media sites, Facebook I think. I was dialing in my Test Spot on a 1969 GTO in single stage Matador Red. The ONLY abrasive technology I tested that worked and also removed the marring from the other products I tested was Dr. Beasley's "microshpere" abrasive technology. Same thing on a 1970 Ford Torino I detailed right after the GTO. Eye opening.

On that note, what polish from them would i be looking at? To replace 3d 502/520?or atleast for coating jobs. I will probly keep some 3d for fresh paint work correction. Thanks in advance mike.

NSP 150 is the most aggressive "primer" in the Dr. Beasley's line-up at this time. It's what I used on the recent 1970 Superbird article too.

full

Stay tuned for lots of new stuff.

-Mike

Congratulations Mike! I had been thinking Autoforge was going to be your last stop given your history with Nick and B McKee, so I was surprised that venture was very short lived. But a man with your experience and dedication MUST be ecstatic about where he is and what products he is working with; nice to see you over the moon about this opportunity.

You mentioned you went through 3 buyouts, I know AG and 3D were, so did that just happen with Autoforge? Or are you referring to Meguiar’s from way beach when?

Looking forward to your reviews on the Dr Beasley’s product line. I almost tried their stuff a few years ago but I tended to stay with products you were promoting at AG as well as McKee’s. My impressions have been Dr Beasley’s make high quality products, and now am eager to try them.

All the Best,

Bill

Thanks for sharing that, means a lot to me to know I've helped. Too bad the geek disappeared all my how-to articles. I thought they were all about education.

I posted a few short videos recently on my social media sites, Facebook I think. I was dialing in my Test Spot on a 1969 GTO in single stage Matador Red. The ONLY abrasive technology I tested that worked and also removed the marring from the other products I tested was Dr. Beasley's "microshpere" abrasive technology. Same thing on a 1970 Ford Torino I detailed right after the GTO. Eye opening.

NSP 150 is the most aggressive "primer" in the Dr. Beasley's line-up at this time. It's what I used on the recent 1970 Superbird article too.

Stay tuned for lots of new stuff.

-Mike

Copy that, ill check it out. Thanks again for the info.

I have 95nsp and 45nsp on the way. Cant wait to test them out.

:)

Congratulations Mike! I had been thinking Autoforge was going to be your last stop given your history with Nick and B McKee, so I was surprised that venture was very short lived.

To be honest, I thought that was going to be my last stop also but divine intervention changed my course and I'm blessed and thankful.

But a man with your experience and dedication MUST be ecstatic about where he is and what products he is working with; nice to see you over the moon about this opportunity.

Jim aka the Doctor behind Doctor Beasley's will be here this week and what I love about Jim is he's excited to to hear my ideas for new products that truly solve detailing problems and I have a few things all set up to show him. Some of you may remember, but at one of the BIG 4-day classes I taught at the geek, as was the norm, I invited a lot of other captains of industry and instructors to participate. At one of these classes Jim noticed me using a glass cleaner as a waterless prep wash. As great chemist, he new why I was using the glass cleaner but also knew the ingredients in glass cleaners were too harsh and he could formulate a BETTER product that would do the same thing and that resulted in this product.

Prep Wash

full

And what I like about Jim is he gave me credit for the idea and thus the products.

From the Dr. Beasley's website (scroll down the page to see the story)

Prep Wash was inspired by detailing legend Mike Phillips and his need for a defect-revealing cleanser to use on restored or vintage cars. Something waterless so as to avoid getting water in those hard-to-dry crevices. And unlike most waterless washes available (a certain three letter acronym comes to mind) it had to be totally free of organic ingredients since they stop coatings from permanently bonding.

Dr. Beasley’s founder and formulator Jim Lafeber took Mike’s need as a challenge and got to work! With real-world testing at Dr. Beasley’s detailing studio “Simon’s”, he perfected his inorganic formulation, tweaking factors that allow for easier wipe-off and greater clarity to expose defects.This final formulation is engineered to remove the layer(s) of contaminants that prevent detailers from seeing the full range of defects affecting the finish.

True to Mike’s request, however, this is a completely inorganic product with no carnauba or silicone whatsoever. Jim recommends using it in place of a regular wash before starting the paintwork correction process so detailers can get the clearest view of the defects being addressed. And while other waterless washes with organic ingredients won’t necessarily make the coating fail instantly, organic contamination is a chance you don’t want to take when protecting an investment like a valuable vehicle.

At the last and only detailing class I taught at Autoforge, Nick Rutter watched me show the class how to use a coating prep spray as a waterless prep wash. He told me he liked my idea. Next week or so, I saw a product on his desk for testing that was a sample for my idea. Now that I'm gone, it will be interesting to see if this product materializes.

Here's Nick watching me use and explain how to do a Waterless Prep Wash for the class.

full

You mentioned you went through 3 buyouts, I know AG and 3D were, so did that just happen with Autoforge?

Or are you referring to Meguiar’s from way back when?

Great question Bill, here's the accurate information. One thing I've experienced is the importance of keeping your word.

Meguiar's - I left in 2009 - 3M purchased Meguiar's in 2018 - so yup, I was there for the beginning of the transformation. Not only did I leave, but so did Jason Rose, (RUPES), Rod Kraft and Jeff Brown, (Griot's), and a host of other people.

3M to Acquire Meguiar's Inc.

Autogeek - Bob McKee sold AG in 2016 and also sold or transferred my contract to Tony George as a part of the sale. I should have left then but my good and honest nature led me to fulfill MY WORD on the contract and I left in 2021 after renegotiating a new contract that removed the non-compete aspect that Bob originally put into the contract.

Vision Investments, LLC Announces the Acquisition of Palm Beach Motoring Group

3D - Tunch sold his company in the summer of 2021 to the Morgenthaler Private Equity Group and the result was I lost 3 things promised and written in my contract. Like the above two buyouts, things were not going to get better but worse, so I was forced to resign, which I did, but not until AFTER I kept my WORD and taught an upcoming class - then resigned. (did the same thing at Autoforge, they cancelled an upcoming boat class and I kept my word and scrambled to find a shop, get tools, products and supplies and I'm proud to say, kept my word.

Morgenthaler Private Equity Group Announces Strategic Investment in 3D International

I'm writing my own memoirs for my life in the detailing world, I think most people will find it an interesting read as I share all the behind the scenes drama.

Looking forward to your reviews on the Dr Beasley’s product line. I almost tried their stuff a few years ago but I tended to stay with products you were promoting at AG as well as McKee’s. My impressions have been Dr Beasley’s make high quality products, and now am eager to try them.

All the Best,

Bill

Jim only uses the best ingredients and usually this means the most expensive ingredients because he only want to put out the best finished products.

Stay tuned for so much more...

-Mike Phillips

Hi Mike 🖐

I am so happy for you with this new and exciting chapter of your life!

Getting a new shop, being designed from the ground up including the ability to wash vehicles and boats inside is a great bonus. Looking forward to pictures of the new detailing shop when it gets completed.

I attended two of your detailing classes this year (2023) in Stuart, so I guess that I will have to attend a third one next year to experience the new shop and get hands-on training with Dr B’s products. Looking forward to it! 😎

Best of luck my friend!! 🍻

Cheers!!!… 👊

Congrats on this latest life step!

Thank you sir!

Hi Mike 🖐

I am so happy for you with this new and exciting chapter of your life!

Getting a new shop, being designed from the ground up including the ability to wash vehicles and boats inside is a great bonus. Looking forward to pictures of the new detailing shop when it gets completed.

I attended two of your detailing classes this year (2023) in Stuart, so I guess that I will have to attend a third one next year to experience the new shop and get hands-on training with Dr B’s products. Looking forward to it! 😎

Best of luck my friend!! 🍻

Cheers!!!… 👊

Thanks Eldon, I appreciate your trust in my name to sign-up for and take the classes I teach no matter where they are.

Stay tuned...

-Mike

Jim aka the Doctor behind Doctor Beasley's will be here this week and what I love about Jim is he's excited to to hear my ideas for new products that truly solve detailing problems and I have a few things all set up to show him. Some of you may remember, but at one of the BIG 4-day classes I taught at the geek, as was the norm, I invited a lot of other captains of industry and instructors to participate. At one of these classes Jim noticed me using a glass cleaner as a waterless prep wash. As great chemist, he new why I was using the glass cleaner but also knew the ingredients in glass cleaners were too harsh and he could formulate a BETTER product that would do the same thing and that resulted in this product.

We discussed this on the phone in May, regarding using a prep spray on classics. I was going to try that next time I needed a light polish and sealing on my garage queen. But it appears now, that I have a dedicated product for that (y). Without giving away secrets, can you enlighten us on how this new product is different than the other high quality panel preps for this purpose? More lubricating I suspect is one aspect since it is a waterless wash.

We discussed this on the phone in May, regarding using a prep spray on classics. I was going to try that next time I needed a light polish and sealing on my garage queen. But it appears now, that I have a dedicated product for that (y). Without giving away secrets, can you enlighten us on how this new product is different than the other high quality panel preps for this purpose? More lubricating I suspect is one aspect since it is a waterless wash.

A coating prep spray is for removing polishing oils off paint, in most cases, after doing compounding and polishing in preparation for installing the coating. I was using a prep spray simply because it was cleaning the hell out of the car and this was taking the place of a normal car wash. I believe the final results for any detail start with a clean car.

A coating prep spray is NOT a great choice for waterless wash. I used it because it was close to my hand. It's time-consuming to explain, but when putting on large classes, there's a LOT of moving parts and simply going to the warehouse and pulling more and more products out for a class is a great idea, but it also cost money.

In a class situation, if each time I want to use a car and teach a topic - to STOP moving forward and do an actual wash job with water hose and bucket is incredibly time consuming. Most of my classes, we detail 6 cars a day. I only show water washing ONE TIME. I cover a ton of topics during the PREP WASH but after that, we're inside with air conditioning and we're moving forward. We're going to wipe the cars clean and move onto the ACTUAL topic.

You would love one of my classes and then everything being discussed here with a keyboard would make more sense.

The other point about why Jim created a waterless PREP wash, not just a waterless wash I already explained above. A normal waterless wash is great for SAFE MAINTENANCE washes but it's NOT good enough for Mike Phillips or for my classes - thus the Dr. Beasley's Prep Wash.

Moving forward, I really want to leave AF and McKee's in the rear view mirror. Please - enough talk about them and their business. That chapter in my book is closed.

Thanks,

Mike

The other point about why Jim created a waterless PREP wash, not just a waterless wash I already explained above. A normal waterless wash is great for SAFE MAINTENANCE washes but it's NOT good enough for Mike Phillips or for my classes - thus the Dr. Beasley's Prep Wash.

Moving forward, I really want to leave AF and McKee's in the rear view mirror. Please - enough talk about them and their business. That chapter in my book is closed.

Yes, understood why he created a PREP waterless wash, I was asking about the difference between this new product and other PREP sprays and how this particular product was different. I understood the difference between this and other waterless washes. But you ultimately answered what I was asking about. Thanks Mike.

Regarding the other topic above, I don't believe I referred to either of them. And certainly understand your view and wishes. No worries.

I look forward to your coming reviews of the Dr. Beasley line. As I said before, I was inclined to try them but just haven't yet. I will definitely buy this product and look forward to using their polishes. Where does the NSP 45 come in on the 1-10 cutting scale and finish scale? A 2 or 3 cut and a 10 finish?

Back