Hello from Alaska

hey chilly! Great to hear your still around! Thanks to silly rabbit, i now know your issues and why the little bit i hop on, i had not seen you around. Was wandering. Hope all is well! Although i hardly ever hop on this forum, ill try to now👍🏻
Hey Opie, great to hear from you

I miss being on the forum and seeing you guys over here is great

I am not going to stop trying to get back on AG but this will be a good place to hang out as well

Take care and I will look for you on the threads

chilly

The exact same thing has happened to me. So don't take it personal from the AGO forum.
My troubles started when I got a new computer and needed to add web sites and had lost my book of passwords.

Tried to get help from mods. No reply.
Tried to get new password from forgotten password button. Nothing
Made 2 new accounts with new e-mail address. Nothing.

I wasn't much of a contributor as I didn't feel like I had the knowledge to be giving out advice but
did like to comment on some ones good thread with a like or thanks or awesome job on their detail work. Was MAXBKS on ago.

chilly

The exact same thing has happened to me. So don't take it personal from the AGO forum.
My troubles started when I got a new computer and needed to add web sites and had lost my book of passwords.

Tried to get help from mods. No reply.
Tried to get new password from forgotten password button. Nothing
Made 2 new accounts with new e-mail address. Nothing.

I wasn't much of a contributor as I didn't feel like I had the knowledge to be giving out advice but
did like to comment on some ones good thread with a like or thanks or awesome job on their detail work. Was MAXBKS on ago.
Max, I was thinking back and I got a new MacBook at about the time I remember this first happening and our experiences sound identical except I use a password manager so I know my password is correct

somebody over there needs to wake up

Thanks

Good Morning

I was a long time member of the Autogeek forum but their technical issues have made it impossible to continue there so I decided to see what was going on over here

I hope to be able to continue to learn and even contribute

Regards

chilly

Welcome to my lowly forum. I wish I could be more active on my own forum but I'm happy to say I'm always super busy.

I've monitored the geek forum since leaving, the forum and the company have see a LOT of changes since that point in time. What some don't know is that besides Yancy and I leaving, another half dozen key employees all left too.

The warehouse they brought-up in Palm City is just a memory. The fullfillment center they farmed all their warehousing and shipping to has been closed down. Last I heard they're moving everything up to Indianapolis.

Just not the same in any aspect.

Mike

Welcome to my lowly forum. I wish I could be more active on my own forum but I'm happy to say I'm always super busy.

I've monitored the geek forum since leaving, the forum and the company have see a LOT of changes since that point in time. What some don't know is that besides Yancy and I leaving, another half dozen key employees all left too.

The warehouse they brought-up in Palm City is just a memory. The fullfillment center they farmed all their warehousing and shipping to has been closed down. Last I heard they're moving everything up to Indianapolis.

Just not the same in any aspect.

Mike
It’s especially sad because there are so many talented detailers over there, both pro and amateur, and such a wealth of knowledge and it would be a shame to see that resource go down the drain

After hours of fooling around with my normal everyday browsers with no luck I was finally able to get on to AGO yesterday by using Safari and the password stored in the Apple Keychain

BUT

If I try to use that password to go into my profile and change to a new password it says it is invalid

I am still not sure what the issue is or how I was even able to get on because I had tried that password numerous times in my other browsers

It has to be a hardware and software issue

I have run into similar situations trying to get on certain government sites, they either don't like Mac OS or they won't work with Brave or Opera browsers and you have to drop back to something else, although I did try Chrome and most everything works with Chrome but it wouldn't for me this time around

I said it over there and I will repeat it here, I feel like I am living on borrowed time over there since none of the mods have seen fit to even contact me, much less help me figure this out

Chilly

Glad you were able to get back on Ago. You are a good contributor.
Wish I was more tech savoy.
Maybe you can update your progress of the finishing touches of your new house on Ago.

Max

Chilly

Glad you were able to get back on Ago. You are a good contributor.
Wish I was more tech savoy.
Maybe you can update your progress of the finishing touches of your new house on Ago.

Max
Hey Max, if I was tech savvy it wouldn't have taken me so long to get back in and I would actually understand the problem and solution, which I honestly don't

It was more like a happy accident that I got in

If you are really interested in how the house turned out here is a link to a YouTube video the builder made and posted

The still winter in the background pictures were taken almost exactly a year ago before we took possession on April 4th

The interior pics with furniture were digitally created by whoever did the video

The later pics were mid September after the house was painted, the driveway was put in, and we had the lot prepped and hydroseeded

We are getting a 6' cedar fence around the section closest to the unfinished road on the patio side and will have a hot tub and picnic table

I want to do a bit more landscaping this summer but not sure exactly what I want or need

I am 68 now so I don't want anything I can't take care of on my own, at least for the next few years

So that's the house story

If I ever really figure out what is going on with AGO I will let you know

Another member, kappy, had the exact same thing happen, logged off by the system and then couldn't log back in despite having all his information

He was actually able to go back and create another account using his old user name and everything but despite having been a member since 2013 it showed him as a new member and he lost all traces of his 11 years of contributing

I really hope folks see the light and start migrating over here but the thought of walking away from all that content is disturbing to say the least

I just hope folks will share the vast knowledge all over again here

I really don’t think there are mods over there any more

I'm not sure anyone left over there has any incentive from the owner to do anything?

I was the "Forum Guy" on the AGO forum, not a single person that was there when I was there, or since I left is what you would consider a "Forum Person".

Most only monitored or posted because the HAD TO.

In the real world, none of them detailed cars at least like I do. None of them write articles or make videos. So really not much to contribute to the forum and my guess is no direction or incentive from anyone in managment to "do something" on the forum.

Most companies pour their staff's time into YouTube, Facebook and Instagram.

There's a term in the online industry that goes like this,

Dead forum

That seems to be the path AGO is on. Of course, my own forum is dead, or at least not busy, but I'm okay with that. I built this so I would have a place for me to post my stuff.

If other's want to join and post, I'm for it. If others don't? I'm okay with it.

This forum costs me less than $400.00 a year and works for my purposes.

Mike

It sincerely saddens me that forums are becoming dead forums

If folks migrate here and start posting like they did in the old days, I think I won't be the only one who will be delighted

BTW,thanks Mike for making this forum. It might be how the online detailing community gets saved.

I'm not sure anyone left over there has any incentive from the owner to do anything?

I was the "Forum Guy" on the AGO forum, not a single person that was there when I was there, or since I left is what you would consider a "Forum Person".

Most only monitored or posted because the HAD TO.

In the real world, none of them detailed cars at least like I do. None of them write articles or make videos. So really not much to contribute to the forum and my guess is no direction or incentive from anyone in managment to "do something" on the forum.

Most companies pour their staff's time into YouTube, Facebook and Instagram.

There's a term in the online industry that goes like this,

Dead forum

That seems to be the path AGO is on. Of course, my own forum is dead, or at least not busy, but I'm okay with that. I built this so I would have a place for me to post my stuff.

If other's want to join and post, I'm for it. If others don't? I'm okay with it.

This forum costs me less than $400.00 a year and works for my purposes.

Mike
Your efforts have always been appreciated no matter where you were posting

It sincerely saddens me that forums are becoming dead forums

The death of forums is a reflection of our social society. Instagram is the most perfect example of our current society. People, that's you and I, are rewarded for making SHORT videos and filming all these videos in Vertical or Portrait mode. Let me breakdown what this means.

Less information - Anytime you take a picture or shoot a video in vertical or portrait mode - there's LESS information. Remember a few years back when we were still purchasing or renting DVD's and even Video Tapes? The version everyone wanted was called Letterbox. This mean not only was the info/video displayed in LANDSCAPE mode, it also mean there was MORE footage included to either side of the camera's center or focal point.

So Instagram and YouTube train this generation to capture LESS information.

Short videos - I think the limit for IG REELS and YouTube SHORTS is either 1 minute or 1 minute and 30 seconds. So again, Instagram and YouTube train this generation to watch LESS information.

And reading? Ain't no one got time for reading anymore... And look what a wreck our society is today as well as most of the world.

If folks migrate here and start posting like they did in the old days, I think I won't be the only one who will be delighted

Probably never happen. I belong to a number of Facebook GROUPS and for the most part, there's so many people, (guys), that simply have no class and it shows in how and what they type and also in the short videos they make. Of course, there are still some people that have some level of class, but all the good posters stop posting after being beat down by the ugly aspect of FB Groups.

I feel sorry for all future generations. Nothing is like it was in the good old days. Everything seems to be changing for the worse. I think it's an application of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. This means, everything is in a state of decay. That's kind of what I see in the world. I wish it weren't true.

BTW, thanks Mike for making this forum. It might be how the online detailing community gets saved.

I created this for me and anyone that has at least a modicum of class. LOL

Here's an example of my work, to share on this forum.

Review: Harbor Freight HC109B Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

I actually have a TON of new content. Just no time to create it for my own forum. Apologies.

Mike

Want to give a shout out to you, Mike Phillips for being gracious and allowing Ago to be discussed on your forum. You even participated, cool! Hope you see an uptick in your forum with your acceptance of this.

You sure had the floor drop out from under you from some of these companies in the last 2-3 years. Hope you're on solid ground here.

Just got into polishing about 4 years ago and you sure got me up and running with your posts, videos and your book that I bought. Just a wash and wax guy before. Nothing like an old dog learning new tricks. 70 years old.

What can be discussed on this forum. Is it open or limited to brand specific (Dr. Beasley).

Ago frowned on discussions on brands they didn't carry.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to give a shout out to you, Mike Phillips for being gracious and allowing Ago to be discussed on your forum. You even participated, cool! Hope you see an uptick in your forum with your acceptance of this.

It's sad to see Autogeek and it's forum in the state of disarray it is currently in.

You sure had the floor drop out from under you from some of these companies in the last 2-3 years. Hope you're on solid ground here.

Broken contracts as well as broken words.

Just got into polishing about 4 years ago and you sure got me up and running with your posts, videos and your book that I bought. Just a wash and wax guy before. Nothing like an old dog learning new tricks. 70 years old.

Great to hear! I love to hear positive testimonies from people I've helped over the decades.

What can be discussed on this forum. Is it open or limited to brand specific (Dr. Beasley).

Ago frowned on discussions on brands they didn't carry.

Yes, you can talk about other products on this forum. Jim Lafeber understands there's plenty of market in the marketplace. I'll try to share the behind-the-scenes MegiarsOnline.com story if I get time. It has to do with upper management at Meguiar's wanting to stop anyone from talking about non-Meguiar's products and how I stopped it.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Max

Eh... just a blue collar working class dog. A Timex if you will.

Mike

Back